1988 Johnson 30hp (30TECCE)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyjeeper

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been working on my grandfather's old boat the past couple weeks. The engine had sat for a few years, however I've got it turning freely after a few days soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil. I have yet to start it, however, as I'm not confident in the lower unit yet. I have yet to pull the plug and check the fluid, haven't had the time the past couple days.

Anyway, should I be able to turn the prop by hand on this outboard? I've tried it in all gear positions (F-N-R) and it won't budge. Is this typical or should I be able to turn it freely in neutral? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at first? I'm not greatly familiar with outboards, but am mechanically inclined, so working on it myself is something I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for any help!

The prop should turn freely in neutral. I would start by checking the gear oil. If it sat for a few years with water inside, no doubt it would rust and lockup as you described. Good luck.

jasper

Thanks Jasper. If that's the case, I may try pumping some MMO in there as well, to see if it will break things loose.

Not being the bearer of bad news but if that lower unit is locked up MMO ain't what you need to do. It isn't like rings stuck to a wall in there. You can go in there and replace some bearings and seals a whole lot cheaper than you can put MMO and break rust loose if water has gotten in there and locked it up and then in a very short time it goes out and you have to replace a whole lower unit.

A total lower unit rebuild would be knocking on the door or surpass the value of the whole motor.

I took the vents off and noticed when I shift the lever, the rod barely moves. Should it move into 3 different positions, or could something have come undone?

Latest posts