1989 Evenrude 20 HP fuel pump rebuild vs replacement?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamalivin

Reaction score
Hello again guys, I have a simple question. In your oppinion is it better to rebuild a fuel pump or just replace. I understand it is very simple and somewhat low cost, but which is best. Thanks in advance!

Well I don't, but I plan on taking note of the locations during disassembly. I have watched a video or five on it, so I feel confident that it should't be an issue. I just wanted to know what you experienced guys usually do.

One of the ways to do this in a "foolproof" way is to do it on a piece of wood. Drive a couple of long screws through the mount holes of the pump and cut the heads of the screws off. This will allow the screws to become studs that will locate the sections of the pump and diaphragms for you plus allow you to lift the sections off the screws.

Pappy said:
One of the ways to do this in a "foolproof" way is to do it on a piece of wood. Drive a couple of long screws through the mount holes of the pump and cut the heads of the screws off. This will allow the screws to become studs that will locate the sections of the pump and diaphragms for you plus allow you to lift the sections off the screws.

That is a very crafty Idea, and I may just do that considering this will be my first time rebuilding one. I am going to order the kit today.

I rebuilt the VRO pump on my old 1999 Johnson 40 hp with the kit that gets rid of the VRO and just makes it a fuel pump. It's not hard and I had to rebuild it twice in 5 years due to the ethonal eating up the diaphragms. One thing to look for, the screws that held the pump together go into the plastic housing. If those screw locations start to strip or crack, you might have to toss the housing.

Any time a screw is to be re-installed into a plastic housing the screw should be turned in the opposite or "loosen" direction until you feel the screw drop into the old thread. then tighten. At that point you are not cutting new threads into the housing and the housing should be good to go always.

Latest posts