1989 FLATSTRACKER 17tx to center console flats boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsdiver

Reaction score
well we bought a 89 tracker that was in really good shape as far as the hull is concerned. it was in a bit of a project phase as you will see as soon as i can get the pics uploaded. they had replaced the front deck and floor and made a center console for it but carpeted all of it and used PT plywood. so out all of that has gone now. the previous owner whom happen to be the original owner removed all the foam in the bow for us!! currently we are removing the rear decking and foam. we got half of the rear foam removed to this point and hope to finish the rest tonight. our goal was to remove the standard bass boat seating arrangement in the back and square off the back deck by rotating the live well side ways. that led us to discover the wet foam in the floor and well now we will be building a new rear deck area!

Attachments

• 15337.jpeg
    15337.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 5,154
  • 15722.jpeg
    15722.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5,154
will get some more pics up tonight. all decks, floor and entire rear area are removed. water tested the hull and pressure washed it last night. hopeully a little later this morning we will be able to get the motor off so we can bring the boat in the garage and start preping and priming the bottom of the boat!

well didnt get as far as we had hoped today but we did get the motor off with ease and got a lot of prep work done almost ready for primer. hopefully by lunch tomorrow we will be ready to prime. we got the boat cleaned out, off the trailer, flipped over and in the garage! the bottom and transom is sanded and ready for primer. All the decals are gone just need to remove left over glue then sand the sides and shes ready for primer. here are some pics of our progess since wednesday night.

Attachments

• IMG_7238s.jpg
    IMG_7238s.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7242s.jpg
    IMG_7242s.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7259s.jpg
    IMG_7259s.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7262s.jpg
    IMG_7262s.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7267s.jpg
    IMG_7267s.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7271s.jpg
    IMG_7271s.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7269s.jpg
    IMG_7269s.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7273s.jpg
    IMG_7273s.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7285s.jpg
    IMG_7285s.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7290s.jpg
    IMG_7290s.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 5,074
  • IMG_7295s.jpg
    IMG_7295s.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 5,074
got up early and got to removing the glue from all the sticker, patched up a few holes and gouges and finished up all remaining prep. finally got her into primer. it is white primer even though it looks grey.

Attachments

• IMG_7322s.jpg
    IMG_7322s.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 5,016
  • IMG_7327s.jpg
    IMG_7327s.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 5,016
  • IMG_7319s.jpg
    IMG_7319s.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 5,016
  • IMG_7317s.jpg
    IMG_7317s.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 5,016
  • IMG_7302s.jpg
    IMG_7302s.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 5,016
I have the same boat that I have just gutted this weekend. It seems heavy to me (may be waterlogged) and I was wondering how many people did it take to flip it over? I plan on primer paint this weekend.

fool4fish1226 said:
:WELCOME: Keep us up to date with lots of pictures, Looks great so far.
Thanks and thanks for your build up you will deff see us borrowing some of your ideas! your lil snookered is awesome!

hopefully tonight we will be able to wet sand the primer and not have any issues and move to paint tomorrow but we may have to add some more primer tomorrow night worse case. there will be more pics tonight after wetsand.

well no new pics tonight as you could not really see much difference but i sure did a lot of blocking and sanding!! the primer is almost sanded and hopefully tomorrow the first bit of color will go on.

Not sure what color that you are going with but I bought the Parker's duck boat paint. I have heard of nothing but good reviews on it. I hope to follow in your footsteps with my project sometime this weekend or next.

Crocodile said:
Not sure what color that you are going with but I bought the Parker's duck boat paint. I have heard of nothing but good reviews on it. I hope to follow in your footsteps with my project sometime this weekend or next.

we are going to be painting it two tone white and light yellow like every other flats boat! lol. we are using the benjamin moore p22 paint. we were going to use interlux but the cost and a lot of threads and builds we read guys were using this for a lot less and very similar results. on the test pieces we did just after one coat it looked AWESOME. we are just roll and tipping it. im hoping tonight to get the bottom of the boat painted with atleast the first coat maybe two.

Crocodile said:
I have the same boat that I have just gutted this weekend. It seems heavy to me (may be waterlogged) and I was wondering how many people did it take to flip it over? I plan on primer paint this weekend.

We picked it up with just the two of us. I'm not that big of a guy(i'm the guy in the captain picture lol), but with the foam out and motor off it wasn't that bad. The waterlogged foam is probably adding a considerable amount of weight. We used a few ratchet straps to assist with lifting by using them on our shoulders. I won't say it was pretty, but it got the job done.

About to head over and start some paint!

it is moving along pretty well. It really helps when you have someone you get along with that is as motivated as i am to work on the boat every waking moment we can! well tonight we made some good progress we finished getting it all sanded and blocked out and we got one part of the bottom painted white before the begs set in!! for our first go at roll and tipping we are really happy with the turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_7335s.jpg
    IMG_7335s.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4,859
  • IMG_7333s.jpg
    IMG_7333s.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 4,859
well we got rained out last night but we finally got to finishing painting the bottom. so pleased with how the paint turned out especially for the first coat!!

Attachments

• IMG_7337s.jpg
    IMG_7337s.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_7338s.jpg
    IMG_7338s.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_7340s.jpg
    IMG_7340s.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,247
Here's quick timelapse of us painting the bottom white. More to come now that we finally got some of the yellow on there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFcqQ9AXTQ&feature=plcp

Also serviced the bottom end of the motor with new seals, impeller, etc.

the exterior is all painted and looks awesome!! the two tone turned out better than i think we both thought it would. going to let it sit for a week to get good and cured with all the humidity and rain we have had. so not much work up coming other than a few repairs to the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_7378s.jpg
    IMG_7378s.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_7377s.jpg
    IMG_7377s.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_7375s.jpg
    IMG_7375s.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,203

Latest posts