1990 Tracker Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmf

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1990 Tracker TX-17 that needs reconstruction. I see on trackers site that they now use aluminum channel in their transom w/ NO wood. Does anyone know what year they started this type of transom construction. I have not inspected mine yet but it seem to be solid as a rock, I suppose I need to remove a motor bolt and see if I see wood but I hope it is metal!
Comments?

uh-oh, I was afraid of that, there will have to be some weld cutting if I find any rotten stuff and rip out of rear flotation on each rear side.

Check out my build. I have the same boat as Rook, '83 Tracker, only I have had to rip out the wood transom and replace it. I used two sheets of jointed pine board for mine, and I glued and stapled it together, then sealed it, and painted it with two coats of oil based exterior paint.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14064

Matt

BYOB Fishing said:
Check out my build. I have the same boat as Rook, '83 Tracker, only I have had to rip out the wood transom and replace it. I used two sheets of jointed pine board for mine, and I glued and stapled it together, then sealed it, and painted it with two coats of oil based exterior paint.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14064

Matt
Yes, I looked at yours, what tool did you use to cut the aluminum at the welds?

One more thing, I think the foam flotation actually caused some of the rotting. It went right up against the wood, and behind the foam, the wood was pretty much dirt. I cut it back about 6" before I re-installed the new transom.

BYOB Fishing said:
I just used a 4-1/2" angle grinder from harbor freight. It popped right off.
I've got to get another right angle grinder, I burned mine up cuttting out a floor in a fiberglass boat. FYI, never use a grinder for fiberglass work unless it has some kind of a filter! I hate fiberglass boats anyway, nice smooth ride but too much upkeep if you have to keep them outside!