1994 15 hp Johnson outboard starter switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jib2

Reaction score
The starter switch is missing so I do not know how or where to wire in a new one. The starter works as I can jumper and by pass the seliniod can anyone help me understand how to wire in a new switch that works with the seliniod? Thanks in advance

Are you sure its missing? I think the button is located on the left side of the motor (if the motor is facing you) on the end of that square tube. I think that square tube is part of the mounting bracket. The button is kinda hidden.
I think someone mentioned on here that the starter button had the solenoid built in it and the switch is expensive.
Is your electric start system factory or did someone put it in at a later date and "rig it"?

Yea, it is missing along with all of its wiring. I know where it is suppose to be but it is gone. I'm hoping to wire in a new switch through the solenoid. But need some help understanding the wiring coming out of the solenoid and just where the original was wired in. Thank you for you comment.

Well, can someone just tell me where the solenoid is located? I have pulled the starter off but did not see anything that looked like a solenoid maybe it is also missing not sure. Can you help me locate it?
Thanks

Is there any wires coming off the starter? If there is follow them and see where they go. I know what I would do but I don't know how machinal minded you are and I don't mean this as a slam. I just don't want to confuse you.

No wires coming off the starter but there is a terminal to connect a wire. So I ran a hot line to the battery and the starter spun up. But it does not have enough power to turn the motor over without the solenoid.

I searched for the solenoid online to find out what it looked like but still can not see anything like it. Now it is ok if you tell e what you would do as I do have some skills with mechanical things.

BTW, thanks for your help

Thanks Sawmill I think your PM has provided the information I need to make it work.

Well, I have fixed this problem with the help of people from this forum and my friend. Thanks to all of you for the help. Now, to support this forum this is what I did:

1-Solenoid from Ford
Used piece of wire from old jumper cable to wire from the battery positive to one side of the solenoid
Used 10 ga wire from the other side of the solenoid to the starter motor (per Johnson spec)
10 ga wire from battery hot to inline switch to small terminal on solenoid
10 ga ground from second small terminal on solenoid to ground on the outboard.

Now this set up works for me however you will need a good marine battery as this puts a pretty good load on the battery.

Please understand as with anything you attempt like this you do it at your own risk so do your research first to make sure you are comfortable with what you are doing.

Now, I seem to have some other problems with this motor but I think it maybe related to bad gas so I will flush the tank and the system and start with some new fuel and change the spark plugs. If this does not work next step would be to rebuild/ clean the carburetor but first will try the fresh fuel.

Again, thanks to this forum for the help.

Latest posts