1994 Johnson 40hp info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver101

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my 1981 25hp evinrude to a 40hp. Ran across a 1994 40hp motor locally listed for $1000. I am currently waiting on photos of the motor. I don't have a model number yet. I do know it comes with the remote controls. It does not have power tilt/trim (but I have a cmc trim unit, so thats not an issue).

I have goggled looking for info on this age motor trying to see how much it weighs or any prominent issues that they have but have been unsuccessful in my search. Does anybody have any feedback on 40hp Johnson motors from around this time period? Any idea on current value? Weight? Reliability? Availability of getting replacement parts?

The motor is at a marine dealership and comes with a 60 day warranty. It supposedly has been checked over and tuned up. I would prefer to deal with a individual as I think I could get a better deal, but the warranty makes me feel better about buying a old motor. Any input?

That motor with electric start weighs about 190 lbs.Should be no problem with parts.Just make sure it has good compression.(110-130) & water pump impeller has been replaced.

I agree with crazyman, make sure it has good compression, and the water pump is good, I ran a 40 on my tracker for 3 years, and had no issues with it. I liked the little motor, and if it had tilt and trim, I would still be running it. They are real simple to work on, never had a need to with mine, but I have serviced many johnson and rudes in my years, parts are real easy to get, and at resonable prices too, plus you can't beat the throttle response on it if its tuned just right. Ran a 12" 17 PITCH 3 blade prop and still ran all day on 6 gallons of fuel. :shock: