1995 Starcraft 17' starcaster conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txninja

Reaction score
New to posting on the forum, but long time lurker. I am about to start turning my 1995 starcraft starcaster 17' into a duck/fish boat.
All the plywood is rotten on the boat, so that will have to be addressed but there are not any leaks on the boat :D . I am also changing the motor to a Mercury that I am buying from a friend. I have owned this boat for 10 years and it came to the point where I could either redo the boat or basically give it away.

Here are some pics of before and what I am wanting to do.

I am wanting to do the following to the boat.
-Apply steel-flex(black) to bottom and sides of the boat.
-Apply parker boat paint to the sides of the boat-camo
-Redo all plywood with marine grade plywood
-take out unnecessary decking to make it better for duck hunting.
-Apply a tan or brown bedliner type product to the inside of the boat
-replace motor
-rewire boat

Whatcha think? any suggestions or comments are appreciated

Steelflex is sweet. Just make sure you apply it quickly. Mine started hardening on me about 80% through the job.

You can skip marine grade if you want. Normal ply sealed up water tight works great.

Good looking platform to start with.
On my build I am using 1/2 plywood because that is what was in it to begin with. Also coated with spar ureathane.
3/4 is much heavier. And weight is a killer on a boat.
Good luck and keep us updated.

U might want to take the foam out of the boat too I just did mine. It looks fine and dry on top but once u get half way threw it most likely it's soaked and water logged my hole boat had 633 lbs of wet foam in it..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339901#p339901 said:
crabsandbottlecaps » 27 Jan 2014, 09:41[/url]"]U might want to take the foam out of the boat too I just did mine. It looks fine and dry on top but once u get half way threw it most likely it's soaked and water logged my hole boat had 633 lbs of wet foam in it..
I was worried about the foam. I did some investigating yesterday and drilled down in it in many spots and never found any wet foam. Should I still replace it?

I would most of it lays on the very bottom or on the aluminum it self but u don't have to replace you can leave it out completely but it is there in case of capsizing reasons

Well I am not a big fan of all this sanding I am having to do, But it is coming along. I have 1 side finished and I have half of the other side done. I have primed one side and stripped down the motor paint and primed it. My parker boat paint should be here tomorrow! I'll post more pictures when I get it painted.

Also- I took out some of the foam all the way to the floor in the back. It is ALL dry, no soggy stuff. It is staying in the boat.

I got the plywood this weekend and I have been cutting it out and applying spar varnish. All floors will be coated with Tuff Coat and the sides will be painted tan like the rest of the boat.

1st of 2 coats of Tuff Coat (sand color)

Went fishing this weekend, just had to get out of the house and fish! We found a great state park that has stocker rainbows and we caught them on inline spinners.

Scored a new to me trolling motor from my buddy. He had it on his 19' Gambler and he said it stopped working after the trolling motor tray filled up with water. He took it off and had it laying in his shop. I asked him about it and he said take it and if you get it working I could have it.

Well here is the problem. Simple Stuff!! Copper was corroded as could be, so I replaced it and it works great! My boat is going to haul with a 70# 24v t motor. :mrgreen:

These minnkota maxxums run $700 new. I owe my bud a favor or 3.

I still have some things to finish on the boat but it's all little stuff. The boat is basically done and water ready. I burnt up my control board on my tmotor so I had to replace it. All in all I am happy with it. I want to get new motor someday and I'm thinking a 60hp 4 stroke or a 75hp 2 stroke. I really dont care about speed, just like a good dependable motor.

I'll be adding led lights, a spotlight and interior paint. I've had this boat for over 11 years and I plan to make it 11 more. I think about all my buddies that have 20k boats and all the up keep and $$ the put in them and it makes me want to keep this rig. Its easy to mess with and doesn't cost much up keep. Comments welcome.

I will also add that the 70lb 24v trolling motor has made a world of difference. If you have a rig like this I would strongly suggest a 24v motor. It'll almost throw you in the water if you have it at full speed but you can fish ALL DAY. I keep it on 20-30% and it works great.

I did some work on the motor over the 4th.

I replaced the impeller along with new gaskets for the housing. I also found a place in the carb bowl where a gasket needed to replaced. also replaced the plugs. The old Force motor is running like a top.

Hey, Nice build so far!! I am in the painting process of my own aluminum and I am about to order a gallon of Parkers since it has only gotten praise. I am at a toss up between the dead grass, hunter green and the sand tan. Which color did you use? Obviously not the hunter green, but comparing pictures on the internet is a little tough to distinguish the sand tan and dead grass.

Latest posts