1998 3 cylinder johnson 35 hp wont open up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found a set of 25 hp carbs. the number on the carb body itself is the same as my 35, rebuild kit is the same number, etc. the only difference appears to be the low and high speed orifices. happen to know if the jets itself are the same size?

Jets will be a different size. The 35hp powerhead is 565CC vs the 25hp at 500CC.
Thought you said you had new jets coming?

JoshKeller said:
yessir, ordered 6 of them since they were cheap and i like having spares. one thing i did find was the choke butterflies were not perfectly horizontal when the choke it off - they hang down about 1/4 of the way. problem?

Somewhere around here I have a complete set of the 35hp carburetors. Cannot guarantee they are clean as I have had no need for them as of yet.

I ordered the orifices. Are jets and orifices the same thing? i always thought the jets were the hollow tubes in the carb body and the orifices were the screw in nozzles with the small hole that allows a certain amount of fuel into the hollow tube?

No - the tubes are called ........."Tubes".........as in emulsion tube or High speed pick up tube.
Same thing........Orifice is the proper term for jet.
If you ordered them they should have been in by now................?? That was over a week ago.
Why new carburetors now before trying the new jets?
Have you even checked the basics on this engine? Compression? Ignition?

to be honest, because the guy offered them to me for $20, and one of the 35 carbs has the threads of a orifice broken off in the carb. figured it'd be nice to have extras also if the tubes and everything but the jets were the same size. I did get the jets in, but last saturday was opening day of bow season and ive been hunting in the mornings and working late in the evenings.

compression last check (ive checked it 4 or 5 times) was 127, 129, 127. spark jumps 1/2" with a hard snap on all 3 cylinders, and i verified wot spark with a timing light.

So let me get this straight.
You have the proper 35hp carbs.
You ordered replacement jets for the 35hp carbs.
You have neither installed nor run the 35hp carburetors, with the new jets, to see if the problem is resolved or changed.
Now you have a set of 25hp carbs and are wondering if the jets are the same size. Did you not remove and look for yourself??
Almost sounds like the jets were never ordered and you are hoping the new to you carbs have the same jets instead.
Somewhere along the line you discovered a broken jet in the 35hp carbs,.... so pull a bowl off one of the new to you 25hp carbs and use it! With one of your brand new jets.

Am trying to help you here but honestly, trying to help and keep you on task to resolve this is beginning to feel like I am herding cats.

well she's alive. i put on the carbs with the new jets. runs apprrox 31 mph on my 1648. 3 batteries, 24v trolling motor, decked out. instant hole shot. ran about 10 minutes and checked the plugs and they were a nice light brown color. ran again for 2 hours and checked and they look the exact same.

20131005_114001.jpg

wind was kicking pretty good today, and had a passenger. boat was doing 27 upriver and 28.5 downriver. reconfigured all my weights, and believe the motor was pushing around 1,000 lbs. sounds about right on the speed? still a really good hole shot, and the trim really picked up the boat.

next up is installing a tach. i know on the red plug omcs, the grey wire was the tach signal. still the grey on the new models? i dont see a grey wire in the wiring plug at the key switch, so i'd assume i'd need to run one off the motor itself?

Latest posts