1st post, 1st tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy Monday

Reaction score
Hi. I've had this 14' Keller Kraft for many years, but never really did much with it because I had other boats. Used to row my 4 year old son around and get him into largemouth bass in our "Secret Spot", now he's 20 and this holds many memories. Seats rotted out, as did the transom, but it always has and still does float totally dry. It is 14' long, 42" at the transom and max 48" at the gunwales. I plan on omitting the middle seat, putting in a deck, very low to keep it stable, and a front seat/deck with some storage. What I don't want to do is go overkill on it. I'll be using it to fly fish for stripers in a local marsh and harbor. Thinking for the aft seat I'll extend it back to the transom and leave a well in case I get a motor (right now just use a trolling motor). I'll move those middle braces forward about 24" to give me some space for casting. Looking for recommendations on bracing the deck (angle iron on the seat pillars etc.?) and any other things I should watch out for. Given the narrow beam I'm not going to go with any elevated casting decks that I can think of. Thanks!

Nice boat you have there. Many will chime in but most important is the KISS method. I've read through many threads on 14 foot aluminum boats such as yours (and mine). There is good advice on this thread that has remove-able floor slats that might work for you too, the pictures start around posting #21 and continue towards the end of page 4:
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/558593-1965-wards-14ft-aluminum-v-hull-boat-and-adding-a-floor-could-this-method-work/page2
Best regards, Kris

The slat idea is interesting. I have a ton of oak flooring in the basement and almost cut slats out of that, but it weighs a ton. I can't imagine the boat as is weighs much more than 100 lbs. I was thinking of taking 1/2" ply and covering with a sheet of glass and epoxy resin, thinking the glass gives me some stiffness but keeps the weight low. Usually I'll be the only one in the boat..

Many threads will caution on removing a seat. I found this build thread that has lots of pictures, although it is a 16 foot boat. It's fun to read through all of this. Many times someone will have a link in their signature with more ideas:
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38954url
Best regards, Kris

Yes I did see a lot of concerns with removing middle seats. My hope is by expanding the rear and front seats towards the middle I can supply adequate stiffness. I used it without the middle seat with my son in it and had no issues, again it's just with a trolling motor at this point...

Stormy,

No worries, you can take the seat out. Putting in a solid floor helps, as does some side compartments. Figure out a way to reduce some of the hull twist and you'll be fine.

If the bench you remove has any flotation foam in it you should find other areas of the boat where you can add more foam.