2.5 merc upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiverDog357

Reaction score
I have a 2 stroke 2.5 hp Mercury outboard. My buddy said he was reading somewhere that the only diff. between a 2.5 and a 5 hp was a restrictor plate on the carb. Is this true? Does anyone know of any cheap upgrades to get some more power out of this little guy? I don't have a trailer so I'd like to keep the small motor and it runs great so I really don't want to bore it out or anything. If it is as easy as pulling a restrictor plate or something I'll do it. Also where would be a good place to get a spare prop. I cant seem to find them anywhere. It's held on with a carter pin. When I take out the pin and pull off the prop there is a shear pin that goes through the spindle and the prop just slides over it. I just cant find a replacement prop. Any help with these questions is appreciated!

I haven't checked, but you should be able to find the prop through iboats.com.

As far as increasing the size, I don't know about that particular motor, but on many, you can by changing reed valves, and/or removing restriction plates, but I highly doubt you can change a 2.5 to a 5, as nobody would want a motor that small, that would weigh as much as a 5, nor would merc want to waste money restricting such a big motor down to a smaller one.

I agree with bassboy.I would check Iboats.com and ask there.I've herd of some motors being choked,but it's usually in the 40 to 90HP range.

Latest posts