2009 1546 Alumacraft Redo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scroggs

Reaction score
I bought this 2009 1546 Alumacraft as my first boat and without doing enough learning before hand. The previous owner had done some decking and placed a center console- and I liked the appearance. Once I got it home I really started considering that there was ~250-300 lbs of plywood that had not been sealed and was already weathered, open cell spray foam, corroding screws, poor wiring, etc. I wasn't comfortable taking it out in that state. So my true lesson has begun- I am going to redo this myself with no experience except the internet and, most importantly, this website.

I plan to use aluminum to do the deck supports. I like the concept of using the ACM material for decking as I saw in Brine's build. I need to add a trolling motor, bracket, and GPS/Sounder. I also like the center console layout and plan to do that in this rebuild.

The outboard it came with is a 2005 Mercury 25hp bigfoot and its mounted on a manual jackplate. For the sake of money, I think I will be keeping this with the boat.

Anyone with ideas or hints.... please feel free to chime in. Again this is my first boat- I'd rather hear about issues now than when I get it finished.
Thanks!

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,351
  • boat9.jpg
    boat9.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,351
Thanks! I will leave pics along the way.

My first question would be....

I have areas where the old plywood was touching the aluminum and has caused some very minor corrosion. I also have areas where i was removing old glue and left paint free areas (aka gouged the aluminum). I was hoping to not repaint but would leaving this aluminum be setting me up for hull failure? I will be using the boat in a saltwater setting. Thanks

I made this for a general template to design my mods. I wouldn't cut my materials from it, but you can do a decent layout from it. Someone may be able to use it in the future, so I am posting it here:

Attachments

• alumacraft1546.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 135