2hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys~just picked-up a pretty old (guessing around 1977) 2hp Evinrude outboard. On the plate, there is what looks like a serial number...but I don't see a model#. Any ideas? I'm in Canada, and printed on the bottom of the plate is Evinrude Motor Canada, or something along those lines. The number on that plate is 2602S C77365

Looking to track down an owner's manual, fuel/oil ratio etc. It looks pretty, and am told it runs perfectly. We'll see!

Thanks,
Rob

PS~the motor looks exactly like this model; https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8975859

Thanks bassboy, much appreciated! It looks like a fairly simple motor, but I think it's been sitting for some time. Condition is about 95%, amazing for it's age. I got it from a guy who said he had it winterized years ago, but never used it again. Aside from fresh gas, I suppose I should get it tuned-up before I use it..?

BTW, does the serial # reveal the year? Didn't see a "76" in there! lol

Cheers,
Rob

It is the model number (2603 - the second number is the serial). Prior to 1980, Johnson had a good model number system that made sense (same method both Johnson and Evinrude used from '80 to '98). But, Evinrude, for some unknown reason, seeing as the engines were otherwise identical, had a stupid model number system. I haven't understood it, I just match the number up to the list I have. :lol: For example, a 1969 Evinrude 55 is model 55973, and a 1975 Evinrude 40 is 40555. So, the first number apparently is hp, the next is the last digit of the year it was produced, and the last 2 do something else.

Later, they both went to the logical method. For example, my 1988 Evinrude 4 deluxe is model E4RDHCCS Which is for Evinrude 4 horsepower Rope start Deluxe HCCS. The year (CC), goes by the word INTRODUCES, with I being 1, N being 2, and so on. The S (last letter), is model run or suffix. Not sure about the H. I am fairly sure it dictates short shaft (15 inches), but some lists have shown short shafts to have no letter there, and only put one for 20 inch and longer shafts.

Those motors are very simple. Really about as simple as it can get. Put some fresh gas in, and see if it fires right up. If it was winterized, it may very well do so. You should probably replace the water pump impeller, and rebuild the carb, if you plan on using it, since it has been laid up for so long.

Thanks again BassBoy. Having never worked on a gas engine, I'm not sure whether or not I want to take this on. I do think I should nab a manual somewhere though. Also, there is only a threaded post coming up from the center of the gas cap...and I THINK there was a second knob threaded on originally. I'm guessing of course, but did search for these on Google/Youtube and found someone starting one. They loosened that knob, opened the fuel line, and gave it a go.

Rob

The little knob on the top should be the vent. You can run it just fine without that knob, you just can't store it on it's side with fuel in it.

This will probably be one of the simplest engines you ever pick up, so if you want to start tinkering with one, this one would be an excellent one to start with.

Sounds good....BUT, if anyone has a close-up photo of what that knob looks like, I'd be interested in seeing it. I may be able to make one like, or adapt something I have now. Found this site BassBoy, and it looks like one would need to buy the whole "Gas cap assembly." I'm guessing that would cost more than what I paid for the whole motor! https://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=0d1b9c516309639bfce5e251098119fa

***click on folder 1976
***click on folder 2 at the bottom
***click on 2602S 1976
***see Gas Cap Assembly

Those are OEM parts, and cost a bloody fortune. I haven't checked to see if some of the aftermarket companies (Mallory, Sierra etc) carry those. I would bet that if you put a wanted ad out on the aomci swap/sell boards, you will have 10 people offering to sell you one.

I've never even heard of those forums...guess I spend too much time on the fishing forums! Hmm, guess I have some homework to do. Thanks again,
Rob

Latest posts