Alumacraft Model E Missing OE Knee Brace

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken-Mold

Reaction score
I'm going to look at and will likely purchase an Alumacraft model E, or at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is since it's 12' and has double oarlocks.
My question regards the original knee brace in the center of the transom with the serial number on it. I notice in a pic of thectrasom area the brace appears to have been removed, a larger wooden transom made, and the two knee braces added one to each side of where the OE knee brace was. I'm not sure why this was done other than to strengthen (?) the transom maybe for a larger hp motor than the 12hp max that it was supposed to be limited to.The last owner passed and his widow knows absolutely nothing about it.
I know this means that I can't find the exact date of manufacture without that serial number on the original brace but are there any other problems these double knee braces would create?
The boat appears from just a couple of pics to be in excellent condition other than that. The lady also knows nothing about the motor. I think the last owner pulled it into the yard almost two years ago after a fishing trip and parked it. He then got sick and died in pretty short order. It stayed covered until it was recently pulled into the garage.
If I get it I plan to use this E mostly for rowing but might put a 5 or 6hp motor on it ocassionally.
The price that the lady has on it is $650 for boat, motor, and trailer which seems like a fair price in our area even if the motor is scrap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_105540_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_105540_Facebook.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to look at and will likely purchase an Alumacraft model E, or at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is since it's 12' and has double oarlocks.
My question regards the original knee brace in the center of the transom with the serial number on it. I notice in a pic of thectrasom area the brace appears to have been removed, a larger wooden transom made, and the two knee braces added one to each side of where the OE knee brace was. I'm not sure why this was done other than to strengthen (?) the transom maybe for a larger hp motor than the 12hp max that it was supposed to be limited to.The last owner passed and his widow knows absolutely nothing about it.
I know this means that I can't find the exact date of manufacture without that serial number on the original brace but are there any other problems these double knee braces would create?
The boat appears from just a couple of pics to be in excellent condition other than that. The lady also knows nothing about the motor. I think the last owner pulled it into the yard almost two years ago after a fishing trip and parked it. He then got sick and died in pretty short order. It stayed covered until it was recently pulled into the garage.
If I get it I plan to use this E mostly for rowing but might put a 5 or 6hp motor on it ocassionally.
The price that the lady has on it is $650 for boat, motor, and trailer which seems like a fair price in our area even if the motor is scrap.
I believe that is a modification for as you say...........perhaps a higher hp motor. I have 2 model E's and they both have only the one center brace with the serial number stamped in. Price for this boat seems good so if it floats and you like it.........well...........maybe we got our self a boat! :))

I wonder if the transom was flexing and this was a stop gap repair? Can only speak for my area, but with titles and working motor $650 sounds about right. With no titles that's more like a $300-350 rig. Good motor or not. I gave a couple hundred bucks for a 12 footer recently. No trailer, no motor, but in better condition maybe.

Latest posts