35 hp Johnson "misses?" at high speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt

Reaction score
So my motor is a 1981 35 hp johnson(j35rcig), that has the block/electric start/ignition/throttle from a 1987 30hp Johnson(j30tecub). The carb however appears to be from the 1981 johnson as it has a butterfly choke and electric choke solenoid. Both cylinders have 130psi, and I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and gapped them correctly, the old ones had some typical carbon fouling but looked to be good shape.

For the past 5 years that I've owned the motor it's done what I think to be a miss when the throttle is around 90% or all the way open. What can I do or where should I start to fix this? I originally thought that I was just my abused lower unit slipping gears at speed.. But I swapped my river worn lower unit for a Jet Drive lower unit last year and the motor does the same thing.

Anyways I made some videos to show you what the heck I am talking about.. If anyone with better knowledge would be so kind to watch/listen and make some suggestions or just to tell me I'm going crazy.. I would appreciate it very much :)
[youtube]gaeN85nQo7w[/youtube][youtube]4FPm_o3WERU[/youtube]

Latest posts