40 hp Mariner 2 cyl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this look correct. It shows a red from the battery to the start button then going to the starter. The stop button shows a white and a black. You can enlarge the pic. It looks like the kill switch is normally open.

p3oo1VUh.jpg

OK, that diagram is using a manual starter button with no starter solenoid. I am pretty sure the wires you have that were used in the remote harness are not large enough for that. You have two choices. Mount a solenoid under the cowl if there isn't one there or run larger wires and use the old push push button starter switch.

Using the smaller wires with a solenoid and a light duty switch would be my preference but that is entirely up to you.

Hmm. This pic is from marineengine which looks like might have a solenoid. The Seloc manual 1400 the schematic is from is generic to a lot of Mariners which makes it hard to figure out.

eUgcQL2h.gif

21 does look like a solenoid mounted on the starter. Looks like you are in business. You just have to make sure that there is a large + wire to the corresponding post on the solenoid.

Before I trim back any wires what if I touch them together as they are now to test for start and stop. Any chance I could ruin anything.

water bouy said:
Before I trim back any wires what if I touch them together as they are now to test for start and stop. Any chance I could ruin anything.
I wouldn't try that. Use a test light or multi-meter. And to answer your question, yes, you could mess up something.

Where were you guys at that like these motors when I was selling one. I sold a tiller one almost identical to this just painted camo with a old crap fiberglass hull and trailer for 600 lol. It was a buddies motor to start with he converted it to a tiller I'll try and see if I can get him on here to help you out with the wiring.

This is a link to a topic on the marineengine forum that my buddy said he used to help him wire up his tiller handle. I know we aren't suppose to link other forums, but I figured this would help the op out and would be allowed.

https://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?399601-1982-mariner-yamaha-40-hp-key-switch-wiring

I searched high and low for that paint when I restored my motor - did you order it directly from Mercury?

I think I bought the paint from iboats but if you google that number lots of places sell it.

Today I called Yamaha and talked to a tech who looked up service manuals from '86 and he couldn't find anything about the tiller motors they made back then.

A mechanic in town was nice enough to come by on his day off and hook it up this morning. The compression was close to 150 psi on both cylinders cold start which he said was pretty good.

Pretty good? If you were pull starting it at 150 you wouldn't be happy with that, sounds like it had little use.

Good to hear. That was my thought when I saw the sellers pics, that his dad, the original owner, had babied it or rarely used it.

It'll be awhile before I get it on the water and I wonder how much the trim tab will help with the torque. Funny that my 1985 30 Mariner has no tab or my 1984 35 Evinrude. I remember from back in the day those are a struggle to steer.