48# Thrust Motorguide- Bent Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
I found a guy that has a late 90's MotorGuide foot control TM for sale for 50 bucks because it has a bent shaft. I called him and he said he hit a stump, and ever since then the turning on it has been real tight. He says everything else is in great working condition. I asked for him to E Mail me some pics of it so i could see how bad it was bent, and he told me that it was not even visible in a photo. This makes me wonder if maybe it is something else wrong with it. Here is the Craigslist description

Date: 2009-01-04, 1:24PM CST

Motorguide foot controlled trolling motor, 48lb 12volt. Has bent shaft everything else works fine. $50.00 call 314-604-

To be honest, i know nothing about trolling motors. It sounds like a great deal to me even if it does have bad steering. My question is: is thier any way to make it work like new again. Surely you dont junk a TM every time the shaft bends on it. There has to be some way to fix the shaft. Anyway, whatever advice i can get i would appreciate.

BTW this is about 2/12 hours away from me in St. Louis MO, so most of the hassle would be going to get it and i would like to save myself a trip if it is junk.

from motorguide web site

Foot-control maintenance tip for the bearings and any moving pivot points in the foot-pedal.

Use light weight machine grade oil like 3 to 1 or reel oil to lubricate the ball bearings in the steering raise on the column and any moving parts in the foot-pedal like the pulleys and pins. Do not use grease, as it will attract and hold dirt making performance sluggish.

I've never heard of a MG stainless shaft being bent. not that it can't happen but it'd sure take a hell of a hit to do it .. maybe it's just gummed up?

edit;

Foot pedal is hard to turn
(Mechanical steer models)
• Check to see if the column is bent and binding against outer tube.
• The outer tube may be bent and binding against the column.
• The bottom bushing or bearing may be out of alignment, broken or dirty.
• The steering cable may be kinked; replace the steering cable.

Macgyver said:
I've never heard of a MG stainless shaft being bent. not that it can't happen but it'd sure take a hell of a hit to do it .. maybe it's just gummed up?
Oh yeah, it happens. A LOT. Hurts like mess too, when you are in a boat that did that. If you are standing up, you won't be for long. I am real surprised they are still using the stainless shafts as opposed to the composite ones like they have on the MKs, and on the MG wireless series. Apparently, people in north Georgia are rougher on their trolling motors, as probably 40% of the older Motorguides I see have bent shafts.

Thanks for posting that Macgyver. I have a feeling it might be something else since he says you cant see a bend. Even if the steering is tight i think it is worth the 50 bucks. If i get it i will post up some pics here, and may ask more questions about lubing, and bearings.

bassboy1 said:
Macgyver said:
Oh yeah, it happens. A LOT. Hurts like mess too, when you are in a boat that did that. If you are standing up, you won't be for long. I am real surprised they are still using the stainless shafts as opposed to the composite ones like they have on the MKs, and on the MG wireless series. Apparently, people in north Georgia are rougher on their trolling motors, as probably 40% of the older Motorguides I see have bent shafts.

this is why I have an MK motor. i've seen my shaft bend alot and go right back..

Macgyver said:
bassboy1 said:
Macgyver said:

this is why I have an MK motor. i've seen my shaft bend alot and go right back..
Same here. My buddy apparently thought it was funny that I ended up in the cockpit of his bass boat, when I started standing the stern deck. Another thing I like about the MKs is that the skeg is on the front of the motor as opposed to the back like MGs, so it protects your sonar transducer from rocks in the shallow river I fish (the small section I can get to without a jet).

Latest posts