50/35 on a 1451

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of a getting the 50/35 tohatsu it would go on a 1451 riveted boat it's flat so my concerns would be air ingestion would it work. I would beef up the transom. I currently have a 20hp yam 4 stroke outboard it's about 80 lbs lighter but I figure if I move fuel and battery up front it will even out. What do you Guys think.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,264
Also the guy wants $7000 used 2014 98 hrs says he had a map sensor and some extra fuel pump by factory mechanics. Seems kind of high?

Should work fine on your boat, don't see why you would have any problem with cavitation. I'm not sure on the price but people I know that have those motors talk like they're strong little motors.

Here's the motor on his boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 2,222
I have the tohatsu 50/35 on a flat bottom (1752). In 6+" of chop, it cavitates at WOT unless I trim it way down, but the WOT ride of any flat bottom in chop isn't fun anyway so its not an issue for me. With 3 batteries and 2-3 people on a 17 footer, the motor is only just adequate for fishing. I think it would be a hoot on a 14 footer rigged light.

One thing to know: Although the motor is 20-25% lighter than the other fuel-injected motors in its class (60/40 merc, 60/40 etec), it also uses a smaller pump than those other motors.

For something with 98 hours, $7,000 doesn't sound like much of a discount off the new prices I've seen on the internet, unless the 2014 warranty is transferable. And if you can't reverse the motor mods, it might be problematic to get warranty work done.

one thing he told me was that the 4 year warranty is transferable and since the mods were factory mods that they didn't void warranty and he had a tohatsu authorized dealer install them. But yes for 7000 seems a little steep there was a new less than 20 hours 40/30 Yamaha a dealer had on a trade in for 5,300 I guess I should of jumped at it.

Im considering if I will need pods I don't know if the motor will suck me down to far when I plane and cause porpoising without them.

Would a 40/30 Yamaha be better? Im almost considering buying new if this guy wont come down. Any speed estimates with this setup?

If your talking about a 4 stroke Yamaha I'd go with the 2 stroke tohatsu but that's me. I prefer a 2 stroke. Plus the 40 will be 28hp at the pump where the 50 is 35hp at the pump. I'd guess low 30's to high 20's on your boat. Hard to tell. Either way I think you'll want the lighter motor of the two for your boat.
I don't know that I'd go as far to say a 60/40 merc or e-tec is in the same class as the tohastu at 42 cubic inches versus the merc at 60 cubic inches and the e-tec at 52.8 cubic inches.

That price seems high since someone on here has a 2014 Merc 60/40 for sale for $4500.

My opinion on the pods question:
If the hull is 51" across the bottom, I'd skip them. If instead it is 51" between the gunnels and only like about 36" across the bottom, I'd definitely add pods (BIG pods). I'm sure you already thought of this test, but you could put 80 lbs next to the transom, with the prop motor still on there, and see what you think at dead drift.

My guess on the speed question:
I think Rude's estimate is likely correct. With a bigger, heavier hull and a number of dents, I get about 25-26 mph. My impeller is about due to be shimmed also.

My boat is 51 across the bottom it's riveted and is very light. Thanks for the input

I ran a 50/35 2 Stroke Evinrude on a 1444 rivet boat all last year.

A few issues to consider:

Weight - It floated the engine just fine, so you should do even better with a much wider rear. However, I didn't have anything in the very rear of the boat behind the back bunk. My fuel tank was about midship and the battery (a lawn tractor battery) was just in front of the rear bunk. With myself and a passenger seated in the boat and floating the pump on the ob was out of the water. I'll try to include a picture.

Power - It was pretty fast for my experience. It would run around 28-31 mph depending on load. 28 with two adults and a 25 gal bait tank. It did begin to bend my transom. I think it was from trailering, not the engine power. Either way I would highly suggest extra bracing.

Attachments

• IMG_4912.jpg
    IMG_4912.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,988
I'm running a Yamaha 40/30 4 stroke on a Lowe 1448. I installed a steering console at the front bench and put the 6 gal tank and 2 batteries in front of the rear bench. With two adults it jumps on plane nicely and wot runs about 25 mph (GPS). The 40/30 is a good motor for this setup but the Tohatsu 2 stroke would be better...perhaps not by a whole lot but it would be lighter and quicker although noisier for sure. I did have my transom rebuilt from a 15" to a 20" and strengthened.

I'd like to add aluminum decking and a permanent 12-15 gal tank but not sure about that much additional weight. Am going to use coolers and water to simulate that addition when spring comes and will see how it goes. I run on the Missouri River and would like more speed but not at the necessary expense to get it.

The difference tween the Tohatsu and the Yamaha is 5HP at the jet, but the weight of the Yamaha is 219 lbs and I'm sure the Tohatsu is less. I love my Yamaha...it's very quiet and will still be running strong years from now. If your decision was mine I'd probably go with the Tohatsu and hope for the best. It would probably be really good.

Latest posts