52 or 56 inches wide?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc9loser

Reaction score
Obviously wider is more stable, anyone have any stability input concerning width?

I am buying a new boat and have to decide. I want as narrow as possible so I can get places, as wide as possible for the room/load bearing capacity/and reduced draft.

I also want it stable enough so I can stand on a deck flush front deck and not be too tippy.

Any comments? How are your boats in 48, 52, 56, 60, etc?

were talking botttom width. I big guy and owned 16x 52 its ok w40hp /own a 16x 60 now its great w50hp its my fav/...Owned a 19x72 , draft was ok just too heavy and required 100hp or so adding to weight..where I fish its shallow and sometimes you run aground and gota man handle it and it needed king kong to drag it around...I am talking Salt Water bays /rivers and bayous..So i guess i'm saying 52 to 60 would be great

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318955#p318955 said:
cva34 » 16 Jun 2013, 12:36[/url]"]were talking botttom width. I big guy and owned 16x 52 its ok w40hp /own a 16x 60 now its great w50hp its my fav/...Owned a 19x72 , draft was ok just too heavy and required 100hp or so adding to weight..where I fish its shallow and sometimes you run aground and gota man handle it and it needed king kong to drag it around...I am talking Salt Water bays /rivers and bayous..So i guess i'm saying 52 to 60 would be great

Yeah, good point. I am planning on using a Tohatsu 50 because it is 205 Lbs. So anybody with additional input regards to a 50 powering an:

1852?
2052?
1856?
1860?

I tested a used 1850 riveted and it went 30 with a old Johnson 40 2 stroke. I would like to do around 30 give or take so any opinions on the biggest boat I can get away with and do 30 mph with a Tohatsu 50???

Depends on how you plan to use it. For instance, myself I would go as wide as possible. Less draft when not on plane or not moving. More stable. More room. But there were times when I used to do some duck hunting when I was younger, and getting a 42" wide boat back in the flooded timber areas was nearly impossible.

Not sure how much weight you need to stabilize on the bow while fishing but even a 1852 is going to be plenty stabil.
The length will help you also,I think theres online speed calculators online,should give you a ruff idea on speeds.

Decided to go 2056.The dealer claims it is a good match and will do 30 or more. We will see.

Went from a 1448 that I loved to a 1656 that I also love. Tough to call what will be stable enough for you. For me, standing all day in a canoe is no biggy and my 1448 was plenty stable for both me and my brother to bowfish from the high front deck. But, I would venture that you will not regret going with the 56.

A hard call.
I love Liz's boat on Swamp People. So big and luxurious. Room to move. carry stuff, even sleep in it.
Had my Girzzly 1648 poled into two tight shallow streams today. Liz's boat wouldn't have made it there.
The 1648 won't go where I used to motor my canoe (3.4hp, 9 mph) which I don't use so much because the 1648 is so much more
comfortable.
Reason I went with 1648 is because it was the smallest boat I could spend all day on.
Runs great with a 40.
I'd love to have Liz's boat but it'll never go where I take the 16 and the 16 will never go where I took the canoe.

Latest posts