58 johnson 18hp now starts well but seems to miss.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbronzeback

Reaction score
Ok guys, i finally got the ol 58 18hp johnson out on the river. Seems like there is a miss. Once i adjusted the high speed needle i got it run pretty fast. But still misses throughout all rpms. Also when i throttle it up it takes a couple seconds for the it to speed up. I dont get the rpms right away. Its like it has to catch up. On the bright side it does move my boat nicely and seems that i weight distributed well. Ignition or gas? Tested spark when i got home from river and one cyl is weaker that the other. Could that be it?

Yeah new plugs. Guess it has to be points, coil, or condenser. Was nice to finally get out on the water. It had been almost 2 months. Was having a little withdrawl from no fishing action. Did catch one 12inch smallie just messing around. Will work on sunday some time so i can river test tomorrow while i still have my dads blazer.

Finally. Found condenser screw that secures it down loose. Must have forgot to tighten down when replaced. Runs awesome! Took it back out on the river and ran it back and forth for a half hour or more. Man this thing moves my boat very nicely and seems to be balanced perfectly(decking front and rear and floor). Runs very smooth and quiet. Love it. Thanks everybody for all the help. A month ago i had never even seen under a flywheel on an outboard or touched a carb. Now working on the 3hp 57 johnson just for kicks. SMALLMOUTH RULE!

Just though you all might like to see what weve been talking about. Here is a couple of pics after paint. Still need decals but i think she looks sweet and runs even better.Thanks!

Attachments

• 18hp painted 001.JPG
    18hp painted 001.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 772
  • 18hp painted 002.JPG
    18hp painted 002.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 776

Latest posts