7/23 to 7/25 and a new PB

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
The last week or so have been more or less all about targeting carp. I been prebaiting spots pretty generously this year, and so far my efforts have paid off. Just about every night has yielded consistant action from carp in the 10 to 13lb range. To make a long story short, I am trying to target bigger carp, with out having to fish tidal areas. This week so far has been awesome with an greater number of bigger fish.
Thursday after work, I met up with Joe(jrwin) to fish a spot locally we had been previously baiting up for days. To say the least, it was more of a bust. The river in this strecth is very rocky with alot of bottom structure, which I think ultimately led to the fish having a hard time finding our offerings. 4 hours in, I landed 3 fish, while Joe took home the skunk. I did however add another descent fish to the mix at 20lbs.

10lbs
Picture1842.jpg

20lbs
Picture1844.jpg

11lbs
Picture1848.jpg

With thursdays spot not offering much, I abandoned that hole, and headed to another. I took the wife with me after work friday, and we were soaking some bolies by 6. Just before I got a chance to rig up a second rod, my drag starts screaming. After about 5 minutes of playing around I had him tired enough for the net, and with one last head shake, the hook got pulled. That fish was def. pushing 20+lbs which would have made for a very good start had I landed it. No shorter then I can sit down the action started, and seem to never end. I was targeting bigger fish using boilies instead of maize, with larger bags of particle bait to intice better feeding. With 2 fish coming unbuttoned at the net, I had a total of 9 fish. Including a new personal best common carp 3oz shy of 28lbs, which is considered a much bigger carp for non-tidal species.

12lbs
Picture1833.jpg

21lbs
Picture1837.jpg

10lbs
Picture1834.jpg

13lbs
Picture1841.jpg

And finally the biggest and new PB 27lbs
Picture1840.jpg

Today's original plan was to stalk some carp, and float fish, but with the heat, I figured the fish would probably not be feeding much through the day. I got a late start waking up, and headed out in search of some bass. I only made it to one local lake, and put in about 3 hours of frog fishing in some blistering heat. I'm almost certain the heat, and bluebird skies were the results of lockjawed largemouth. I did manage to beat the skunk, and land 2 fish, with several more missed of course. All in all the summer time fishing has been good to me so far.
Picture1849.jpg

Picture1850.jpg

Man,your the carp king.
We don't have them here but if we did,I would target them 4sure.
At them weights and build,I bet they pull like freight trains.
Great job on the fishing and the new PB.

nice lunkers! what are yuns baiting the with?

me and my neighbor got a few reciepes off the internet the other nite to start making some stinkbaits. we've only made 1 so far just because it costs so much to make the junk with
its a contraption w/ fish food (the pellits from a feed store) creamed corn, flour, and i think vanilla? we're going to start baiting a few spots this week to get ready for friday nite. hopfully it turns something out

Bait with corn - maize (field corn) boiled works great.

Bait for at least a few days in a row before you fish - the idea is to train the carp to look for food in a certain area

Thanks guys. If your intrested in targeting carp, then a simple google search will answer a lot of your questions. There is def more involved then just baiting and fishing. Rigs, bait, locations, and times of year all def factors to having successful outings. Summer is a time of year when carp are most vunerable, and just when u think you have them figured, a season changes, and the tatics you once knew no longer work. I will try to put more information together at some point and post it one day to further intrest those that are intrested in fishing carp.