86 Starcraft BASSV170 Rebuild/refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to cut and fit some pu foam as it's cheaper and available locally. Hope to get the transom in and some foam fitted by this evening.

Got the transom cores cut and ready to laminate. Cut and fit the stern most subfloor. Off to work so hopefully more progress this evening. I am very impressed with this Airex pxc board. Very nice stuff.

Been a long week at work. Needed to go do something fun. So I took a friend from work and his wife and kids to a secret pond in Arkansas and we had a blast kyak fishing. I caught several bass and a whole bucket of sunfish to be relocated to another pond. He will be posting a vid on his channel in a short while.

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_183621865_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200805_183621865_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
Thing about this particular pond is it's completely surrounded by the tall grass and goes as far as 15-20 feet in from the bank on the shallow end. So unless you have a boat and know the guy who owns the land it's virtually impossible to access let alone fish it. Glad the guy is an awesome dude.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_174529519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200801_174529519_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 171
Got all the hatches together and ready for vinyl. Removed the last few pieces of metal from the hull sides to get the old original carpet out from behind them. Then started cleaning up all the old carpet remnants and glue off the hull sides. Got almost one side done this evening after work. Had nasty rain yesterday so nothing got done. Hopefully I can be ready for the pour foam when it arrives Saturday. If it's on time. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_173403597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200812_173403597_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 170
Well, it's as good as it's going to get. Need to go get some aluminum angle stock to brace the floor a bit so larger anglers don't cause damage to my new decks. Lol. Also need to get some flexible tubing or conduit to run the wiring in. I hate open looms as they invite damage.

I got a new phone and now it won't post pics. Grrr. Anyway, the transom is all laminated and fits great. The subflooring is all final fit. The Nautilex vinyl is here as well as the pour foam. I am currently working on cutting up some reclaimed materials from my next build that I just got, lol, to use as floor joists and to make the rod locker bigger as well as the forward fishing deck larger.

Ordered the entire livewell plumbing system from flowrite. Went with system 3 and all quick lock fittings. Added the pump out nozzle. Plan to add a chiller but may just use ice packs in the livewell itself.

Poured foam today. While it will work, I am glad it will be covered by the floor. There is definitely a learning curve. Lol. Should be able to get the main floor and all the framing done this week if the weather allows.

Flooring is getting a good water absorption test. Been raining for the last two days. And now I have to work Saturday morning because of the weather. Oh well. More overtime. Lol.

Livewell kit is here. I am very happy with it. Going to try to find some suitable glue for the vinyl tomorrow after work and get started on that tomorrow afternoon.

Vinyl is awesome! Sold my saltwater tin at 21-years old & the vinyl was not only still sound, it still looked great! Carpet would have looked like sh#t at that age ...

Have to wait for the weather to be dry for at least 48 hrs forecast so I don't have to worry about the glue getting wet and not setting on the vinyl. So I started back on the transom. Got it riveted everywhere it can be without the interior framing in place. Then capped it and shot it with a coat of self etching primer to keep it ready for paint. Will need to reseal a seam with some Marine Tex once it drys out good. Seeping enough to make me irritated with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_180418525_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200830_180418525_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200830_182652028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200830_182652028_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126