9.5 evinrude problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Jones

Reaction score
I have a 9.5 evinrude that Is not firing. I am pretty sure it is not getting gas.

The spark plugs were bad so i changed them out. I did a quick spark plug test and they seem to be sparking.

I am going to mess with the lines tonight. My father-n-law also mentioned something under the carburetor that i need to check (said it was a bubbler/bowl or something and it may be hung up not letting gas through).

Also, i am not real sure but i dont think the gas line is staying primed.

Any thoughts or things i should check first? I have no idea about motors so anything will help.

Thanks,

remove the spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and turn the motor over a few times. good quick check to see if its getting fuel

I think he was saying your float is stuck wich is pretty common. take the carb off, drain gas out. hold the carb like its mounted and try and blow threw the fuel line. if you cannot blow you got a stuck float. If it does blow turn the carb over and try to blow, no air should go threw (float is up)

Ive worked on few different motors, start at the fuel line coming out of the quick connect,follow it to the fuel pump diagram(square with a screw in the middle) then follow out of that to the carb take that line loose at the carb get a 20oz bottle cut in half under it and hit the primer bulb lightly. if gas comes out then then you got some fuel going to it and its the jet sticking in the carb. Its not to bad to get the carb off depending on what model engine you have, can probably save yourself 50 or so dollars just doing that and then taking it to someone who can rebuild it for you fuel diagram rarely go out so its probably not that

Now with that said you could be loosing fire and you not know it check the to "U" shaded coils where the spark plug wires go to, take the two bolts out and look at them real good for cracks and such. One of my motors would run like a top till it warmed up and start arching against the engine block then fowl the plugs, would have never seen it if i weren't working in a under lit shop working on the pull starter

Latest posts