9.5 Sportswin Start with starter fluid - Is it a deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade to a 9-10hp up from a 6hp and saw this on craigslist. Owner claims it has good compression and spark and that it will start and run off starter fluid for a little while but wont keep running. I figure its just a bad fuel line or the carb needs to be cleaned out. Asking price is 150$.. Is this a good deal?

If it were a simple fix they probably would of repaired it and had it for sale for twice as much imo

You do get lucky sometimes though

I would offer them less than they are asking. I would probably take a chance on it and if it did not work out part it out.

Find a 9.9 or 15. The 9.5 is basically a 7.5 with a bigger carb and won't give you the performance that you're looking for.

FYI- The 9.5 was manufactured from 1964-1973

Run fast from that deal!! Anyone who runs a 2 stoke off of starter fluid doesn't know anything about 2 strokes. The only way a 2 stroke is lubed is through the oil in the fuel. Running it off starter fluid is like draining the oil out if a 4 stroke and starting it.

Latest posts