A few more Reports

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
IRI 12-20 & 12-21- 2008
I was gonna meet up with Drew and Judah at IRI so I headed out early and arrived about 7pm . I had fish crashing just as I left them 2 days ago . The water was still dirty and almost high (very high) . I couldnt get rigged up quick enough :) . I left the Mirror Lures in my truck with my leader line so I had to make a quick trip back to the truck . I finally get rigged up and without fail .. First cast :)
100_2748.jpg

Missed quite a few then got another schoolie ..
100_2749.jpg

I hooked up to about 8 more and landed half and all about the same size . I finally hook up to a decent fish and she comes up to the top and is using the current to head to the Marina .. I turn her head and she dives and comes right at me and finally ends up hooked to a sandbag .. She is in 4 feet of water and I can still see and feel her struggling . I wait a few seconds giving a pull hee and there with hopes she will pull free from the bags and she does :) but she not only got off but took my Mirror Lure with her :( The fish was about 32")
So with one Mirror Lure gone I decide to throw the 4" Black Bomber and get a few more ..
100_2750.jpg

Some of these were very fat fish :)
100_2752.jpg

I alternate lures and pick up a total of 12 fish before the tide tops out and the fish just shut down ..
Drew and Judah pull up just as the bite dies but I did hook up to 2 more fish and 1 was pretty nice . They were very close and no missing those fish .
At 1am just as the mist started (even snow) the 3 of us headed out to the rail . We didnt even fish and saw Nothing popping ... ALL was quiet !
Drew decided to leave so I told Judah I would take him home if he wanted to stay so he grabs his gear and we head out back .
Judah and I tried an assortment of baits with Zero fish . We got soaked as the rain wouldnt quit ..
We fished until about 6:30am and then hit the rail just as the longliners showed up .
I saw a fish get pulled over the rail and one was walked to a truck (keeper but barely) . I rigged up with a black/white fly and 4 ounces and made 2 casts with no bites so I added a white worm and nailed 2 in a row with both fish being about 26" .
I got 1 more on that fly then noticed another keeper caught by a guy who told me he watched where I casted and saw my first hook up so he watched the second fish too and caught his fish in the same spot ..
He thanked me for "finding" the fish as he walked his keeper to his truck . He was throwing a dark black/purple fly so I switched to the same (mine was prettier:))
I got 4 more Stripers with 2 about 22" and 2 betweent 24" and 26" .
The rain kept coming and the sky got darker and one look at Judah I knew it was time to call it a day .

When I went to land my first "longline" fish I ducked under the rail and my rain jacket hood was "FULL" of water and poured down my neck :(
Back at the truck I realised how soaked I was . I had a total of 5 layers on including the rain gear and it was ALL SOAKED !
Not the greatest night but 19 fish on a rainy cold December night is Great in my book and even after losing my keeper and Mirror Lure :)

IRI 12-23-2008 BRRRR !
Got to the Inlet at around midnight and it was deserted . The tide was extremely low and the water the dirtiest I have seen it yet .. Winds 20 to 30 MPH from the NW and temps in the high teens making the wind chill almost unbareable .
There was no indications that anything was there .. No bait and No popping .
I started with a Red/White Mirror Lure then switched to a 4" black Bomber .. then a Black Mirror Lure .. Then a Broken Back Black Bomber .. Then a Gold/Black jointed Rebel without a bite and this took about 2 hours and 1 trip to the truck to warm up .
I had 3 Mock Neck Cold gear UA Shirts with a sweater over that and then a hoodie with an insulated (zippered) Hoodie to top it off .. I had UA Gloves .. I had UA Leggings with 2 pair of Micro Fleece pants and 2 pair of Sweats over that with Water/Wind resistant pants .. I had 2 pair of UA Socks and 1 pair of thermal Socks over them and high calf rubber boots (Steel Toe) .. I had a UA Facemask covered by the 2 hoodies .
IT WAS STILL BONE CHILLING COLD !!!!
So after a warm up (about 25 minutes and a cup of coffee) I head back with the notion that this cold front has the fish lockjawed and tight to the bottom .. A Swimbait it is ..
I Started with a 4" Bunker Tsunami and tried throughout the water colum with no success so next inline was a 6" PM Bunker and again nothing . I caught a glimpse of a Blue Herring grab what appeared to be a Ling about 8" . I started to see some current so I went back to the Mirror Lures with nothing interested ..
I took inventory and settled on a 4" Pearl Storm and 2nd cast I hook up but lose it just as fast .. I decided to stick with it until I lost it (last one I had) .. After about 10 casts I hookup again and grab my leader and as I lift the 12" Striper out of the water it falls on the sand and wiggles back in .. Grrrrrr ! Another dozen casts and finally :):) !!
1002754fu4.jpg

Another dozen casts and again :):)
1002753sz3.jpg

This one had 1 EYE !
1002757fx3.jpg

1002758tr3.jpg

My fingers felt like they would just snap off and I could not feel my toes at all so I hit the truck again for another 30 minutes or so and a cup of Coffee and then head back .. I casted the 4" Storm for about 40 minutes with 1 bite and then it finally succummed to the Snag Monster .
I tied on the Red/White Mirror Lure amd gave it a few casts and finally could not take it any longer .. I left at about 5am .
Got home and winds are still 15 to 20 MPH from the WNW and temp is 21 with wind chills being at 10 or below .
When I walked down the sand was so hard I left no footprints .. It felt like pavement .. The winds were supposed to be from the NW to WNW but it was more W to WSW .
I knew when I decided to go it would be the toughest night yet and I didnt take into consideration that the water would be "THAT" dirty .
My bones are still cold but I had fun regardless :)

It was funny to see snow coming from the tip of my rod when I retrieved my lures .. Ice crystals would form on the braid and scrape off as I reeled in and it looked just like snow .. The "Seafoam" was frozen and also looked like snow . My top 3 guides would freeze solid about every 6 casts .
IT was COLD !!

IRI Christmas 2008 Report
The tide was promising so I figured the time frame to be there and arrived at 10:20PM . The tide was outgoing and just starting to move .. Water stained and winds from the NE at 10 to 20 MPH .
I started off with 4" Swimbaits in a few patterns but got no hookups even though the fish were popping very good .. After about 30 minutes I couldnt take it anymore and switched to the Mirror Lure :)
First , Second and Third casts I hookup but lose the fish but a few casts later it ON :)
1002807iw7.jpg

It was multiple bites per cast :)
1002808mg9.jpg

These fish were slamming the bait and what puzzled me was the size of the fish . All the fish were 24" or better except for one and even had one at 27.75" .
They were eating it up :):)
1002809yh0.jpg

Every Cast :):):):)
1002811bw2.jpg

1002812uu7.jpg

ALL Fat Fish ;)
1002813ft5.jpg

Again and again :)
1002815hm1.jpg

1002817qs9.jpg

1002818vh6.jpg

1002816el6.jpg

They slacked off the Mirror Lure so I tried a Black Mirror Lure with no success .. Then a Black Bomber .. Again no bites .. I finally settle on a 3" Rapala and the game got fierce :):)
1002822wv4.jpg

1002819cz0.jpg

1002823an2.jpg

Round 2 had begun ;)
1002825lu4.jpg

I picked up 4 more then the bite just faded with the ebbing tide .
Drew and Judah showed up and I tell them it just "shut down" but they both managed 1 fish a piece to ward off the SKUNK !
1002831tb5.jpg

Drew also got a "bag" with his fish :)
1002832yu2.jpg

1002833ai7.jpg

My lucky charm"S" ..
The smallest Blue Heron I have ever seen ..
1002828jy1.jpg

And the biggest one I have ever seen ;)
1002834bq5.jpg

Drew and Judah left at about 2am and I waited it out .. It took until 4am for the action to return but at much slower pace with the fish only "nipping" the lure . I missed many fish but caught about a dozen more but these were small schoolies averaging about 15 to 18 inches .
All told I had 2 close fish at over 27" and totalled more than 30 fish .
The fish were still popping and "nipping" but I gave in at 5am with a mission in mind :)
The Mission "Go back to Wagamons and get a pic"
ON WITH THE MISSION :):)

IRI 12-27 & 12-28-2008
Got there around 8pm and after 2 casts was joined by wannafishallday's brother . We had clear water with winds around 8 MPH from the SW .. Tide was HIGH !
The fish were popping very close to the bank and I tried every lure I normally throw with nothing to show for it . WFAD's brother landed 3 stripers and I didnt get my first bite until around midnight and it felt like a really nice fish but it was short lived as she spit the hook ... I had 1 more bite but no hookup .
Drew and Judah stopped by around 11pm or so and I tried for another 30 minutes and headed out to the rail .
I looked around and saw no action and heard none either so after a cup of coffee and a cig I returned to the back just as WFAD's brother was heading home .
Willie had joined the group while I was out front .
Drew caught the first fish but I told him it had to be bigger than a White Perch to qualify for a KODAK Moment :):) .. Drews fish was all of 13" but atleast he caught 1 and had the SKUNK off his back .
Wannafishallday shows up 30 minutes after his brother left .
I settled on a 4" storm that had a black dot and blue back with a red stripe on its side .. I had found this swimbait on a sandbag a few days ago and the tip of the hook was very dull . I missed a few fish then finally got one to the shore .. Whew I was sweating .. 5 hours to land this fish !
100_2837.jpg

Judah lands one soon after ..
100_2838.jpg

Then it was my show for the rest of the night :)
100_2839.jpg

100_2840.jpg

This one was fat and had some broken lines ..
100_2842.jpg

100_2843.jpg

Then they started inhaling the swimbait :)
100_2844.jpg

100_2845.jpg

100_2847.jpg

100_2853.jpg

100_2854.jpg

100_2846.jpg

This was the biggest of the night for me at 26" .. It had a nasty cut near its tail and I snag it in the eye socket ..
100_2848.jpg

100_2850.jpg

100_2849.jpg

Drew and Judah left around 2am and WFAD hansg out until about 4am or so . So now the bite is still pretty consistant but the size of the fish got smaller as the bite picked up 30 minutes after WFAD left . The average size was like this ..
100_2855.jpg

I picked up about 10 or 12 that size and at about 5am the corner light was on fire with a few fish straying near me .. It was nuts out there for about an hour and I got a few nicer fish ..
100_2859.jpg

This one felt huge ..
100_2867.jpg

100_2865.jpg

100_2864.jpg

The corner faded out slowly but I kept at it picking up 2 more before I decided to call it quits .. Water was 3/4 up and still clean but the winds had picked up to 15+ MPH from the SW and now spotty rain .
Total fish was 25+ .. 8pm to 6am = 10 hours and the first 5 hours produced NO fish .

Of other interests :);)
100_2863.jpg

And of course my buddy stayed with me while I was in fish :)
100_2868.jpg

IRI 12-29-08 (SW & FW .. 4 Spots)
Jimmy stopped by at 3:30 Am and we were at IRI by 4:30am . Water was a lot dirtier than the last time I was here and no movement at low slack tide . We saw very very few surface pops and very little bait .. We tried everything to no avail the finally just as I am about to accept a Skunk I get me one :)
1002877ny2.jpg

Gobbled it up :)
1002879hw8.jpg

Also had some wounds ?
1002880rw6.jpg

I had just got done telling Jimmy that I like it best when the water surrounds the rock I was on and just as the water circled that rock I landed that fish .. A few casts later I get another ..
1002881so9.jpg

We fished for 2 hours .. Total (me) 2 fish , Jimmy :skunk: :)

We left there at 6:30 AM and stopped by my place to grab some FW gear and some Coffee .
We headed to Wagamons after some Neds and it was beautiful out :)
1002883ei1.jpg

1002884yv8.jpg

1002885ue6.jpg

1002886eq6.jpg

I got 2 Neds and Jimmy :skunk: (Again)

1002882zm8.jpg

1002887ft7.jpg

We fished from about 8:30am to 10:30am .
Fished for 2 hours .. Total .. 2 Neds

Left there and Hit Diamond Pond . Fished 2 hours from 10:30am to 12:30pm and we got 2 fish ..
I got a Crappie .. (and lost a nice SLAB)
1002888vm9.jpg

Jimmies Pickerel ..
1002889tp7.jpg

Fished for 2 hours .. 2 fish total (1 each)

Headed to Trap Pond and fished from 1:30pm to 3:30pm and I got a small Bluegill ..
1002891hy2.jpg

And Jimmy got a nice Ned ..
1002890rk8.jpg

Summary ..
Fished 4 spots for 2 hours each and total for each spot was 2 fish .

IRI 1-3 / 1-4-2009
Got to IRI about 10PM and Judah , Drew and Will were trying to hook up . The tide was coming in but had just turned and the water was very calm . Water clarity was good about 2+ Feet .. Wind from the NW but very light .
Judah was first ..
100_2904.jpg

And 2nd ;)
100_2905.jpg

100_2906.jpg

I finally hook and land my first Striper of 2009 after about 2 hours ..
100_2907.jpg

I missed another a few casts later but Drew took the next 3 slots .. I got 2 pics .. he tossed the other back to fast .
100_2908.jpg

100_2909.jpg

Then I pick up a few on the Red/White Mirror ;)
100_2910.jpg

Drew and Judah pulled out sometime around 2am I think . The Tide started to rip around 3am and I got into a few fish ;)
100_2911.jpg

100_2914.jpg

100_2915.jpg

100_2917.jpg

The bite stopped and a guy walked down with a bucktail/white worm and caught about 20 Stripers to 25" in 2 hours .. I picked up another dozen on the 4" Purple Tsunami with a steady retrieve .
100_2918.jpg

Beautiful begining for 2009 :)
Guys it was great to wet a line with you again :)

IRI 1-5 / 1-6-09
Got there at 11pm .. The tide was almost low and water was very clear .. Light N winds .
Started with a 4" Tsunami .. Lost 2 fish within the first 10 casts then finally landed one

Hooked another that I lost right at my feet and at that time it started to sleet very hard and gradually turned to rain . The tide started to come back in and with it came TONS of baitfish .. They appeared to be 3 to 4 inch Bunker .. The whole inlet was frothing from them but I saw little feeding on them . I tried everything and could not get a strike so I headed out to the rail .
Still bait everywhere .. Going nuts but nothing really feeding on them that I could pick up on .. Perhaps under the water ??
I started with a 6" PM and with the wind to my back I made some extra long casts and to no avail .. No bites !
I switched to a Black Bomber then a Broken Back Silver/Black with no hits .. I tried a few Mirror Lures with no bites .. I tried a few diferent swinbaits without a bite .. I scaled down to a single 2.5" Fin"S" and landed 3 Shad and snagged 2 Bunker (5") .. Next I snag a skate then back to normal .. NO BITES :(
The rain started to really come down around 3am so I went for cover and waited and warmed up . After it lightened up went around back and still had Bunker everywhere .. I tried everything and could not produce another bite on anything .. I could not believe it .. I guess it was TOO much bait ??
I settled on the 4" Tsunami and picked up another 20" schoolie before the rain sent me packin .. I was soaked ..
3 Shad and 2 Stripers and 1 Skate total .. I was home at 5am .
There is an AWEFUL LOT of BAIT in the INLET !!

IRI 1-7 / 1-8-09
Got there at about 11pm and had slack low water with winds from the SW at 12 to 15 MPH .. Water was very clear but saw no surface action but had a lot of Silversides at my feet .
I started off with a 4" Tsunami Bunker and on about the 4th cast pulled in this ..
1002920ie3.jpg

Then another ..
1002921pn2.jpg

And healthy too :)
1002923ej4.jpg

1002924rm2.jpg

They were hitting it on the fall so after about 6 fish all I did was cast and let it fall and retrieve to do it again .. No sense jigging it back .. They kept on a biting :)
1002925vx4.jpg

Switched up to a bucktail ..
1002926uw8.jpg

They ate it up too :)
1002930kd6.jpg

1002939ct7.jpg

Got a keeper at 29" but the lens didnt open ..

The bite slowed and the wind increased to 20+MPH from the SW .. Got one more on the bucktail ..
1002942xe6.jpg

The tide was rising slowly and the garbage started to pile up ..
1002943qp5.jpg

I decided to hit the rail and wait for the water to clear but I got no bites .. I did however see some breaking fish but not enough to keep me there so I headed out back again ..
I had the 4" Tsunami Bunker back on and it was ON :)
1002945nk3.jpg

1002947kf2.jpg

After 4 fish they wouldnt hit it so I switched to a Mirror Lure .. Catch 2000 :)
1002948sp2.jpg

1002949ko0.jpg

1002950my5.jpg

1002951ti6.jpg

Lost the lure on the 4th fish .. Had a fish on but she dove into the bags and it was over :(
Retied with a Red Head/White Body Pogy and hooked up but lost that fish in the bags too but I could still see the fish ..
Retied and rigged up a bucktail and caught 1 fish then lost it in the bags ..
Retied again and rigged up with "Old Faithful" and lost the first 2 fish but landed the 3rd ..
1002952ae9.jpg

1002954af8.jpg

Lost it on the next cast :(
Went back to a bucktail ..
1002956iq5.jpg

Cleaned house with the bucktail and even snagged a few like this ??
1002955fg0.jpg

At 4:30am the winds got out of hand at an easy 25 to 35 MPH from the S to SW . The bite totally died but I could still see the fish with the Pogy attached to the bags so I went and warmed up and returned to find the tide had not moved so I walked out and freed the fish and my lure and got one foot soaked .. I was done anyways and am just glad that I could not only get my lure back but to release the fish unharmed .
I figured out why I lost most of my lures .. SOMEONE piled up sandbags to stand on and it was almost impossible to avoid at high tide ..
You know who you are so "Dont do it again" ;)
man I cant believe its January :):)
Totaled over 40 fish with some real fatties and one at 29" (released)

Another GREAT night and my first keeper of the year :)

IRI 1-10 / 1-11-09
I got to IRI at 9pm and it was high slack tide with calm water .. Too calm actually . Some big fish were on the corner light crashing bait on top .. I ahd no surface action near enough for me to cast to . Water was clean and wind were 10 from the SE .
I tried all to IRI "go to lures" and had 3 very light short strikes but didnt hookup to any of them .
At about 10:30pm the tide started to move and although the water was like glass I could see some currents but no rips .
I finally hookup and land a fish on the Red Head/ White Body Pogy plug ..
100_2970.jpg

I hooked another but when I got it close and tried to keep it on the surface the hook popped out . I tossed it for about 20 more minutes with no other bites .
I switch to a Black/Silver Broken Back bomber and hook 2 fish that again popped free . I did finally land one on that Bomber ..
100_2971.jpg

Another 20 minutes with no bite and I switch to a Black Broken Back Bomber and nail 6 more fish and most were pretty nice and fat with an average of about 25 inches ..
100_2973.jpg

100_2974.jpg

By this time .. right before midnight the water came alive and the rain started to get heavy ..
I switched to a 4" Tsunami Bunker and for the next 3 hours I nailed fish after fish .. I even got 5 in a row at one point .
These fish werent on the bottom and the key was to have a steady retriev at the right speed .. No Jigging tonight as they would hit it when I jigged it on the bottom or jigged it through the water colum . I missed many fish because of the soft subtle bite .. These fish were the biggest of the night and almost all were 24 to 26 inches and for what the water temps are they fought pretty dang good :)
Here's a few ..
100_2976.jpg

100_2978.jpg

100_2975.jpg

100_2977.jpg

At 12:30am it was buck wild and the rain just steadily fell and was not fun with it right in your face being pushed by 15+ MPH winds .. I took everything to the truck and out of the rain and then returned with only my rod and reel rigged with that 4" Tsunami Bunker .
Its hard to believe its JANUARY :):)
The tide bottomed out and went slack at 3am and it took me 30 casts to get another fish .. I called it quits when the winds increased again to about an average 20 MPH from the SW .
Fished 6 hours total and landed well over 50 fish tonight .. Thats giving the low end as I know it was close to 3 digits ..
A first for me in JANUARY :)

1-10-09 IRI - Wagamons Pond - Broadkill
Had plans to get to the inlet early but it didnt happen and I got there at my normal time .. Around midnight .
Water was slack low and still as glass .. Winds were 5 to 8 from the N to NW .. Water was very stained with about 12" visability . I had a 4" Tsunami rigged up so I went with that and all the while I had fish popping the surface in every direction but not spread out in every direction and nothing to make a pattern with . After about 20 minutes I couldnt stand it and put a Silver/Black Broken Back Bomber on and on my 2nd cast I hooked up and landed a 27.5" Striper :)
100_2957.jpg

I had high hopes that it would be a repeat of the other night but a few casts later i hooked another only to lose it as I lifted it from the water .. Fish was about 18" .
I tossed that Bomber for about 30 minutes without any more action so I went through line of IRI necessities and still struck out for about 2 more hours .
Surfphisn joined me about 30 minutes after I arrived and after about 2.5 hours he finally lands a striper .
The water was too calm and the bite never realy formed so we hit the N Jetty for about 45 minutes without any action .
We headed back to square one and the tide had started to come in but still it was deathly calm and no action or surface pops .
Surfphisn had a 2 hour ride and and headed out at about 4am so I walked him to his car and we talked as our vehichles warmed up . 40 minutes later he leaves and I get in my truck to warm my feet but the "need" was too great and in 5 minutes I was back fishing .
I walked right down and saw fish popping .. Still scattered but close . I had a strike on the 4" Tsunami but thought it best to do some plugs .. I riged a 3" Suspending Rapala (Trout Pattern with rattles) and hooked a fish one the 1st cast but popped right off .. A few casts later and it happens again .. a few more casts and I finally land one ..
100_2958.jpg

I switched to a Mirror Lure .. Catch 2000 :) When I first got there I immediately saw the 2000 and was tickled to get it back . I threw it and threw it in many directions and atleast 6 times I watched a fish come up and bump it with its mouth closed ??
At high tide everything stopped so I called it quites at about 7am with a total of 5 hooked fish and only landing 2 .. Still GREAT for January in my book :)

I headed home to refuel with Java and some eats and was headed to the Broadkill for some Slab action . On my way I always ride by Wagamons Pond hoping the wind will be to my advantage but that has only happened 3 times in 6 weeks so with all signs go I changed plans and went after Mr Ned :)
With the wind at about 10 to 15 MPH and to my back I was making Olympic casts :) .. On my second cast I got hit but never hooked the fish .. It happened 2 more times in 10 minutes then I finally stuck one and landed it ..
100_2960.jpg

Next cast another ..
100_2961.jpg

These fish were only hitting from 40 yards and beyond .. Nothing within the first 40 yards .
I was using a 1.75" Fin"S" 4.5 feet under a casting bobber with an added splitshot for more distance . In the next hour I landed 15 more with the sizes ranging from ..
100_2964.jpg

To this ..
100_2963.jpg

11 to 14 inch fish :) I was in my glory but as soon as the sun shined bright with clear skies the bite died .. I tried for another 30 minutes without a bite .
I decided to return to the original plans and go for Slabs ...
I used the same lure but only had it 2 feet under a casting bobber . Took me about 12 minutes to locate some fish ..
I missed many bites and then started to let them hold the lure for just a second more than I would normally do and I found the pattern ..
First up was a Gill ..
100_2965.jpg

Then a nice Crappie ..
100_2966.jpg

Picked up about 10 more Crappie in the 4 to 6 inch range and then hit another Gill that was a bit bigger ..
100_2968.jpg

Again picked up about 8 more 4 to 6 ich Crappie when I get another nice Slab ..
100_2967.jpg

Picked up about 3 more Crappie and then I get a small LMB ..
100_2969.jpg

2 Stripers , 17 Nice Neds , 2 Gills , 1 LMB and about 25 Crappie at 3 spots and in about 14 hours of fishing ..
Man I really needed that :)

IRI 1-12 /-1-13-09
Hit the water at 10:30pm . The tide had just started to go out and the water was like glass with little to no wind and 2 foot visability .
I saw some fish breaking out on the corner and a few in close but in the darker areas .
I began with the 4" Tsunami Bunker and had 3 light hits and even felt a head shake or 2 but failed to hook up . A few casts later I finally get one ..
100_2987.jpg

100_2988.jpg

Began picking up a fish here and there but with calm water and no current or rips I knew it would be tough but I did stay in fish ..
100_2992.jpg

100_2993.jpg

100_2994.jpg

100_2995.jpg

My good friend Sporto met up with me around 1am .. Just as the tide started to rip .. The fish still bit :)
100_2996.jpg

100_2999.jpg

100_3000.jpg

100_3001.jpg

With the tide running and more fish biting I tried a 5" Tsunami and got 2 bites but no hook up .. I then went to a 6" PM and got nothing .. I tried the Catch 2000 without a sniff so I returned to the 4" Tsunami and the fish were waiting ..
100_3002.jpg

100_3003.jpg

100_3004.jpg

Shutter didnt fully open on this fish ..
100_3005.jpg

100_3007.jpg

Shutter didnt open at all on this one but it was 25.5" and Sporto was there to verify ;)
100_3008.jpg

I had seen a few baitfish that I thought were Herring and I showed them to Sporto whenever I saw one .. Not long after that he runs to the waters edge and grabs this right out of the water :)
100_3009.jpg

Sporto gave me a Baby Bass Storm lure and that proved to be the best producer for me ..
100_3010.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3012.jpg

100_3013.jpg

100_3014.jpg

100_3015.jpg

100_3016.jpg

100_3017.jpg

100_3023.jpg

Tied slacked and Sporto headed home so I went and warmed up .. it was 4am . We talked as the vehichles warmed and he took off some gear .. He was on his was about 4:45am and I hit the rail ..
No one there and I went right to it with the 6" PM .. On my fourth cast I get a nice fish :)
100_3024.jpg

100_3025.jpg

20 minutes later and I get the biggest of the trip ..
100_3026.jpg

100_3029.jpg

The light went out and the bite was done .. the tide also started to come in so I went out back to give it another go .. I had been hoping all night that the South winds would blow the bait to me and as a result the Stripers would follow ;)
I threw the 6" PM for a it but switched to the 4" Baby Bass Storm and like he was waiting for it I hook up ..
100_3030.jpg

100_3031.jpg

All fish did this :)
100_3032.jpg

That is every fish I caught last night with some kind of measurement .. There is no doubt in my mind that if it stayed dark for 3 more hours I'd hit another run of fish but I was cold and it was time ;)

There is sarcasm in this report and it aimed at a comment made on this site ..
:p

IRI 1-15-2009 (Is it really January ?)
Got to the inlet at about 11pm . The tide was very high and slack and no wind with very clear water that was calm as glass .
I started with a 4" Tsunami and after 30 minutes got no bites . I decided to hit the rail and wait for the tide to start to move so I rigged up the 6" PM and went to work .. Another 30 minutes and still no bites .
I headed back to the back and went back to the 4" Tsunami .. Then the Mirror Lures and 2 different Bombers without a bite .. I had no seen any action on the surface either .
At about 2am I saw some fish breaking out under the corner light and some Bunker popping within about 15 yards .. Even had a few swim right up to the sand .
I finally got a bite but it popped off just as the next 2 did but finally I get one :)
100_3056.jpg

100_3057.jpg

It was just nuts after that first fish and the beginning of my best January night ever ..
100_3054.jpg

100_3055.jpg

100_3052.jpg

100_3053.jpg

100_3050.jpg

100_3051.jpg

100_3049.jpg

Decided to try a Mirror Lure again :)
100_3045.jpg

100_3046.jpg

100_3047.jpg

Threw it for about 20 more minutes without a bump so back to the 4" Tsunami ;)
100_3042.jpg

100_3043.jpg

100_3040.jpg

100_3041.jpg

100_3038.jpg

100_3039.jpg

100_3036.jpg

100_3037.jpg

100_3034.jpg

100_3035.jpg

100_3096.jpg

100_3095.jpg

This one had some injuries and part of its tail gone ..
100_3090.jpg

100_3092.jpg

100_3093.jpg

100_3091.jpg

Switched to my old stand by .. The tandem rig .. Had 2 3" Pearl Storms and this proved to be the hot ticket ..
100_3086.jpg

100_3088.jpg

100_3089.jpg

100_3080.jpg

100_3082.jpg

100_3083.jpg

100_3077.jpg

100_3079.jpg

100_3078.jpg

100_3076.jpg

100_3074.jpg

100_3075.jpg

100_3072.jpg

100_3073.jpg

100_3070.jpg

100_3071.jpg

100_3066.jpg

100_3067.jpg

100_3063.jpg

100_3064.jpg

100_3059.jpg

100_3062.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3105.jpg

100_3106.jpg

100_3101.jpg

100_3103.jpg

100_3102.jpg

100_3098.jpg

100_3100.jpg

100_3099.jpg

The super secret weapon :):)
100_3107.jpg

I was the only one there all night ..
100_3111.jpg

100_3116.jpg

Thats every fish I landed .. I missed many many strikes and had quite a few come unglued but over all for January ..
Lots of fish and 3 keepers :):) .. All released ;)
Sporto I wish you could have made it you missed a GRAND night :)

IRI 1-18-08
I arrived around midnight and it was cold with little wind from the South and very clear and almost high water .
I watched fish crash under the corner light and after about 30 minutes I get hit by a small schoolie that popps off a few seconds later .. I am relieved at this point thinking its going to be another decent night . I tried a few lures and no more bites so I hit the rail and make a call to see where Drew and Judah are .. I get no answer so I try the 6" PM for about 10 minutes and get hit again but the fish dropped it just as fast .. I can still see fish on the corner light crashing ...
Judah and Willie show up and watch for a bit and then we all hit the back ..
Tide was still incoming and calm with no rips and fewer signs of fish activity . We tried an assortment of lures again and after about an hour our extemities are frozen so we all go for a warm up in the trucks ..
We return to the water for another 45 minutes and still nothing happening and tide still incoming ??
We hit the trucks agin but this time Judah I accompany Judah to Walmart to drop off Willie and then WAWA for Java and back to IRI ..
We get back and another car is parked next to my truck .. We watch this individual walk down to the water and come right back with his gear ?? I get out and approach this person that happens to be wannafishallday :) ..
He asks if the fish are biting and I tell him about the 3 hours and 2 taps I had and he decides not to stay and was going to make the trek back to VA .. I couldnt believe he was going all the way back home but he stated if I cant catch a fish the he certainly would not and was a waste of time unless I caught atleast 50 fish .. LMAO !! I tell him to call first next time and get an update (Doesnt matter if its midnight ;))
SO Judah and I hit the water again and about every hour until 7am we have to hit the truck for 20 minutes to warm up . Judah and I tried all kinds of lures and lost a few but landed NO fish :(
I left Judah at IRI at 7am as the boats and vehichles started to pour into the inlet .
On my way home I stopped and videoed some Foul .. These bastages are here everyday and loud as hell .. If I am asleep they will wake me ..
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i276.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_3121.flv">

I wanted to catch them as the mass started to land but my camera was in my bag in the back and then had dead batteries so by the time I was ready most had landed ..
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i276.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_3122.flv">

Still fish out there but it just wasnt in the cards last night ;)

Captain Ahab said:
**** Tom - amazing to see this huge compilation reports

Thanks for sharing

Are there any fish left?
:) LMAO !
I apologize for letting my reports get backed up like that but in a way its good as it doesnt "clog" up the forum ;)
Makes for some good winter reading if nothing else ;):)
I'll be checking back on the Stripers soon :)
I have high hope for 2009 .. Its January and I have alreadt taken my first keeper and got more than 1 too boot :) Thats a first :)
I CANT WAIT FOR MARCH :):)

Good report :) .My question is how did you fish for taking so many picture & is that just one fish? :shock: :D

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARING SOUND LIKE YOU HAD FUN :D

**** feel like i just read a book (guess that show how little i read) you sure do have them fish figured out. Hows the summer fishing at the IRI?

RAPALA said:
Good report :) .My question is how did you fish for taking so many picture & is that just one fish? :shock: :D

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARING SOUND LIKE YOU HAD FUN :D
The 2 reports with the measuring tape was for someone who didnt believe I catch what I say I do .. I dont like to lay any fish on sand ;):)

slim357 said:
**** feel like i just read a book (guess that show how little i read) you sure do have them fish figured out. Hows the summer fishing at the IRI?
It gets pretty crowded but there are some decent fish to be caught ..
In the summer we have Stripers , Shad (Both Hickories and American) , Bluefish , Weakfish , Blackfish (Tog) and lots of Flounder .
I'm ALWAYS looking for someone to fish with so if you get the opportunity to get up here please look me up ;)

Latest posts