A few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj97blazer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a few questions about a motor I just bought. It's a 4 cylinder 2 stroke 50hp Mercury with power tilt and "Thunderbolt" ignition. It does run and he swore the tilt works. The guy I got it from did a video of it running so I would know it worked. I'm not sure of the year because I can't find the S# on any look up guides. I do know it's a Belgium Mercury and the S# is 9310XXX. If anyone can help with the year, that would be great. I got the motor for a really good deal in my opinion, $500. I'm in NC and had to drive to Maryland to get it but it was a fun trip. I got lost in downtown DC, lol. The motor it's self is in excellent shape. It looks brand new. The "body" and all that is in pretty good shape. Not too much fading on the stickers. The people that had it took pretty good care of it for the most part it seems. About the only thing that I can see is the skeg is all beat up. It's not bent but it looks like something bit it, lol. I'm pretty sure a skeg guard should do the trick. The other questions I have are, where should I mount the pump for the tilt and how? Floor or transom, vertically or horizontal? Also, the wiring is probably going to be a nightmare. The motor that was on the boat is a 35hp Mercury that didn't have tilt so all of the controls are good to go but the people that had the 50hp just cut/ripped the wires so I really don't know where they go. Should I just do some trial and error or what? If I can, I'm going to try to pick up a repair manual. The throttle from the 35hp has the tilt up and down button on it and the one from the 50hp doesn't, it has it's own switch. That's what they cut so I really want to use the throttle I had to begin with. The rest of the wires, they just unhooked and didn't remember what went where. One other question I have is about the height of the motor? It looks good to me but I'm sort of new to this so any input on height would be awesome. This thing is going to be a beast compared to the haggard *** 35hp that was on it!!!

As soon as I get the motor up and running I'll post pics of the build up of the boat. It's a 16' Traveler TX 160. My brother and I redid all of the decks and some other things. This is the second time we've built it. I bought it from my brother so we had to make it mine, lol. It's all done except for the motor now and I've been taking pictures along the way.

Ok, well thanks for looking and here are some pictures of the motor.

Thanks again,
Jamey

IMG00165-20100613-1612.jpg

IMG00166-20100613-1813.jpg

IMG00167-20100613-1813.jpg

IMG00168-20100613-1822.jpg

IMG00169-20100613-1823.jpg

IMG00170-20100613-1827.jpg

Latest posts