A Little Luck on Friday the 13th

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
Yesterday, I sat the same spot where I killed a doe earlier this season. I just sat up against a pine tree with my leafy suit on next to a bedding area (no corn or bait) and hoped for the best. With just a few minutes of shooting time left, I saw movement through the binocs, threw up my gun, bleated, saw the deer was outside his ears, and shot. I heard him breaking limbs, and I thought I heard him crash, but I wasn't sure.

He ended up being a 180 pound 4 point with a 17 inch spread. Definitely a cull buck.

I have pictures but my computer's broken. I can send themto someone's email if they could put them up for me.

congrats on the buck

I've done a lot of research, which I won't get into because I'm sure you and everyone else could give two s***s less, but a lot of this "cull" talk is a myth. Thats a nice, big buck, but if you were to let him go, I'm sure he would have grown some more points. Its the ones with club antlers on one side that are stuck on the shallow end of the gene pool. Just because that 4 point had long tines, doesn't mean he didn't have any growing to do. Did you figure out how old he was (teeth)? I'd be interested to find out.

Not to say you shouldn't have taken him, cause thats a good buck. I'm all for tine length over points. Any jackass redneck can say he got an 8 point, but not many can shoot bucks with long tines like that 8)

Well he's big (weight) for a SC deer, especially a 4 point. He's at least 3.5. I'm making a skull mount, so I'll check the jaw when the head stops smelling so bad that I can't go near it.

I don't trophy manage this land, but if I was, I doubt this buck would have ever been a monster. A 2.5 year old deer with four points gets to walk, but older than that, he's fair game, in my eyes anyway.

A 2.5 y/o 4 point in KY is a genetic defect that could stand to be killed or run over by a passing semi.

Cut as much off of the skull as you can and then start cooking it in a large bucket of water (right at but not boiling). Adding sal soda to the water helps out a lot. The stuff comes off a lot easier. It's tough to do a euro mount that looks like much in the end with the rot method. I have two that were done by boiling and then using a peroxide paste afterwards that look fantastic.

There are no deer in KY. Being in the top 3 for the last 5 years for B&C entries is just a rumor.

When I get a new computer, ill post a picture of my 5 point from last year that I did a skull mount with the rot method. With some bleach it looks better than th mount my buddy paid 90 bucks for.

Latest posts