abu garcia silver max

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little anth

Reaction score
went to dicks with a giftcard i got for christmas and saw the silver max on a berkley lightning rod for $60 and couldent resist picking it up. i had a cupon and a $20 mail in rebate so it came to me paying $20 for it so i figured i had to do it.it feel nice and looks good also.cant wait to find out how it works this season.i know its prob. not top of the line or a revo but i couldent resist paying 20 bucks for a combo.

Attachments

• 1476_0.jpg
    1476_0.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,766
Tell your dad you never have enough fishing junk
remember Its a race the one with the most junk wins!!!

Wayne

Great deal, great combo.. Just remember you don't need top of the line gear to be great fisherman.

I'm just as happy with my inexpensive combos as my more expensive ones. I've caught plenty of big bass on Shakespeare reels and Ugly Sticks. This combo looks good, keep us posted on what you catch on it.

thanks guys will do i told him you can never have enough fishing stuff. the reel is a 6.2:1 on a 66 mh rod. not sure what ill use it for.

Nice anth. I saw that reel too. It looks good. Abu Rules! 6'6" MH is a pretty versatlile rod too. Nice deal.

Nice find! The reel itself lists for $59.99

I really like the Abu Garcia Reels. I'm looking for a Revo SX now. I'm just looking for a good deal.

chec out this site heis local and gets some good prices

Wayne

https://www.nationwidetackle.com/index.php?ref=157&affiliate_banner_id=5

Thats a slick reel. I have a Abu Garcia Revo Black Max. It is a Revo, just lower end. I am going to use it for casting for Salmon and Steelhead in rivers. Hope it works out for me.

I've got a Silver Max just like that, I thought it was a great reel until it started messing up on me. It got to where it doesn't always engage, so when I go to set the hook, if I'm not holding the handle, the reel will spin backwards and backlash. Or when I'm landing a fish, I have to keep my thumb tight on the spool to keep it from letting out line. I thought maybe this was a freak thing with mine, but a buddy bought one and his started doing the same thing. I'm going to stick to my 5500 C's from now on.

^Interesting

I have 2 of them, and have not had a single issue with them. I fish with them quite a bit as well. Although I do have about 10 other reels/rods that I switch between during the course of a fishing day.

I've never had an issue with one of my Abu's that wasn't stupidity caused. (I have I think 8 Abu casting reels at last count)

I have this combo (though my rod wasn't the Berkley, it's labeled as an Abu Garcia) and love it. I'll probably buy myself another one before spring, or getting the Pro Max.

I dropped mine in the lake on Sunday (almost didn't get it back!) and it sat at the bottom for a good 5-10minutes until I was able to find it. Now it is doing the engage thing described above, and doesn't seem to be a "fluid" on the retrieving end.

I think I'm going to have to take it a part, clean it up, and lubricate all the gears.

I got a Black Max as a backup, "spare" reel, and trust me, it ain't no Revo. It may look similar, but it is a different reel. I have 6 Revo's (and a dozen round Abu's), and they are worlds better than the Max. No matter how I tweak it, the Max backlashes, its not as smooth as the Revo's, and is bulkier.

IMO, save up a little and at least spring for a Revo S.