Adding a floor and a transom (need help)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattais33

Reaction score
I am wanting to add a floor and a transom to this new craft of mine. I have posted the measurements below. Please let me know what you guys think.
DO you think a casting platform is an option for the measurements you see here?
Will I need to add foam in between all of the ribs if I do put a floor on top of the ribs?

Length: 14.5
Length from gunwale to gunwale: 52" (I do not understand what it means when I read bottom of boat if the entire bottom is rolled)
Transom Height: 18"
Transom Width: 49.5"

Also,
Any good resources for transom building? This one is in great condition as far as rivets and aluminum go, but as you can see it has no gunwales (which came with the boat, not attached....weird) and no Transom corner braces.
Thanks for any assistance.

4.jpg

Hmm. am I wording something wrong with this post. Would have thought I would get one reply as a newb. any assistance would be great. Mostly concerned with decking. Thanks again

Nothing wrong with the post.. just be patient. There are a lot of friendly guys here with a lot of experience that are willing to take the time to help you out. Looks like a good start on your project. I would say foam is a must, but others will disagree. You might have to search for the transome build.

I replaced the transom in my 16DSV Ouachita a while back. I used two layers of 3/4" exterior grade plywood glued together with Titebond III waterproof glue. I sealed it with epoxy, followed by spar urethane, but just spar urethane by itself, or paint will serve well. I made my floors using cypress boards. See my link in my signature below.Feel free to PM me with questions if you like.

Ringo Steele said:
I replaced the transom in my 16DSV Ouachita a while back. I used two layers of 3/4" exterior grade plywood glued together with Titebond III waterproof glue. I sealed it with epoxy, followed by spar urethane, but just spar urethane by itself, or paint will serve well. I made my floors using cypress boards. See my link in my signature below.Feel free to PM me with questions if you like.
Basically the same as I did. All aluminum would be best but if you seal the wood you will be fine.

Thanks for the replies guys. Your boats all look great. Love that wood flooring. I like that old style classic look. Not many guys seem to be doing that. Do you have any pics of framing for the decking. With the curved hull and wanting to keep my deck as low as possible I am wondering how your securing flooring to the inside sides. Looks like sometimes guys secure the framing to benches.

Thanks again for the help. Really appreciated.

Bracing for the floor would be best attached to the ribs. That will make it solid.

As for your transom, it appears that some pieces are missing. However as stated above. Bond two pieces of 3/4" ply wood together. I'm a fiberglass man myself so that's what I use. It makes the boards stronger too. Personally, I'd fiberglass my transom all around, but any other method will work. You'll want to make sure it fits good and then you can use some screws with some sealant or through bolts with sealant. I'd suggest building a cap for the transom and screwing it to the wood. Then make some corner braces. Just about anything with work. It only needs a brace at the top.

Best of luck on your build, take lots of pics and give us time to respond.

I used a solid piece of white oak for mine. The original plywood transom lasted 40 years, solid white oak should out last that which will see me to the grave. It's been in there a year now and solid as can be.

Great Great info guys. Thanks.

Any suggestions on if I can run wood Gun Wales instead of the original metal ones that look and feel terrible? I was thinking about doing one on the outside and one on the inside and then a cap on the two sandwhiched pieces of wood. I was thinking about maybe a 1x on each side of the aluminum and then a 2x top cap. Thoughts on that? anyone doing that for a retro look?? Kind of Canoe like I know, but I think it may be sharp when complete if it is stained and sealed.

Great info guys. Making those corner braces could get interested as far as my skill level with aluminum. Wood may be a better option if possible.

again, thanks for the help. took it out today to check flotation and stability as it sits in pics, I was pleasantly surprised with how stable it is. AWESOME.

My Arkansas traveler has wood gunnels. Still original. They were starting to splinter after 50 years. Wood still solid, so I covered them in firehose, for comfort.

That is interested. I am really thinking of doing wood Gunwales and a classic wood look for the floor and the deck. Boat is outside under a tarp right now waiting for this cotton picking rain to let up so I can get a etched primer on tomorrow morning if its dry enough. Love Florida afternoons in Summer. Keep the ideas coming on what you guys think of decking and transom building. Awesome

FYI, Wife is real happy about the tarp situation in the backyard.....HA!

Tarp for Paint.jpg