Alaska jonboat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome! I seem to have lots of pictures of work and vacation on this phone but I'll try to get some Alaska boating pictures soon. We just took the little boat out last night for the first time this year.

Oh really?! I guess you know where Salcha is. That's where we live but I work at Eielson. Air Force civilian.

The base has changed a lot in the 40 years since we lived there. It was A-10s, O-2s, and KC-135s back in 83-85. Back then housing was 50s-era buildings; of course it's all new since then. Some buildings were still there, like Amber Hall. But a wholly new BX and Commissary were quite nice.

My wife and I lived in North Pole; it was pretty small in 1985. Salcha wasn't much more than a couple of homesteads as I recall. You have to be serious about living in Alaska to make your home in the Tanana Valley. The romance of Alaska can wear thin by the Winter Solstice unless that's where you really want to be.

You have to be serious about living in Alaska to make your home in the Tanana Valley. The romance of Alaska can wear thin by the Winter Solstice unless that's where you really want to be.
There's alot of truth to that statement. I sure wouldn't want to be here if I were trying to live like you can anywhere else. By our second winter about 12 years ago I knew I had to try to make the most of winter or else... That's when I got involved with sled dogs.

Here's a picture I took today at Harding Lake.
20240527_144252.jpg

I've been ice fishing twice in my life. The first time was at Harding Lake; Thanksgiving Day 1984, if I recall correctly. We only had a cup auger to go through something like 12+ inches of ice. No shelter or heat source. That experience ensured the next time I went ice fishing was 38 years later. Still not my favorite thing to do.