Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319501#p319501 said:
BigTerp » 6 minutes ago[/url]"]Hey Gill, love the boat!!

How did you secure your bilge pump to the hull? I see some guys use 5200. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for my bilge pump.

3M Marine Silicone. Works well, haven't knocked it loose yet :LOL2: . I ran the boat and towed with it for at least a year now.

https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_21330_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=21330&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNKw4bXy8rcCFSfl7Aod3ywABw#.UcMYIZwSbo0

Thanks!! I've worked with 5200 a decent amount already while replacing my transom and replacing some rivets in the hull. Good stuff!! How exactly did you attach it though? Just slap some 5200 on the bottom of the pump and stick it where you want it? I've yet to order my bilge pump, so maybe once I get one in hand I'll see how to "glue" it down.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319508#p319508 said:
BigTerp » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Thanks!! I've worked with 5200 a decent amount already while replacing my transom and replacing some rivets in the hull. Good stuff!! How exactly did you attach it though? Just slap some 5200 on the bottom of the pump and stick it where you want it? I've yet to order my bilge pump, so maybe once I get one in hand I'll see how to "glue" it down.

I just determined the location, including the direction of the discharge, marked it on the pump base and hull with a pencil. The I removed the base from the pump, put the 3M on the base, stuck it to the hull and let it set up for 24 hours before I did any more of the installation.

"I drilled a hole in the top of my starter battery box and installed a single pole rocker switch in it (just to the right of the strap in the picture). Then I just wired the power lead, and an inline fuse to the pump through the switch. I have tried to keep the boat as simple as possible."

I'm still pulling this battery out to use with my 10' from time to time, I'm going to have to either go through my little switch panel or direct to the battery posts for the ability to quickly disconnect... unless I use pigtail connectors or something?

We took our 3 year old grandson, Ethan fishing alone with us for the first time today and he caught his first fish!! He lasted about an hour :LOL2: :LOL2:

Attachments

• 062213 (25).jpg
    062213 (25).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 062213 (22).jpg
    062213 (22).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 062213 (18).jpg
    062213 (18).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 062213 (8).jpg
    062213 (8).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 062213 (5).jpg
    062213 (5).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,885
what fun for both of yall. i remember the first time i went with my grandfather and uncle and that was over 25 years ago. i caught my fish that day and they were both very happy for me. i will never forget that.

Rented a house on Lake Murray, SC over the 4th with our 2 daughters and son-in-laws and 3 grand kids. Had a great time. The lake would get busy and rough in the afternoons but was calm in the mornings. Fishing was ok, we fried up 50 bluegill fillets on Friday night. It rained every afternoon and evening so with the boat tied to the dock having a bilge pump was required :LOL2: !! I pumped a lot of water. GPS was handy on this size lake. The kids and grandkids as well as the grandparents had a great time. Hope you all had a great 4th. :beer:

Attachments

• LakeMurray2013 096.jpg
    LakeMurray2013 096.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,827
  • LakeMurray2013 080.jpg
    LakeMurray2013 080.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,827
Great stuff GillHunter! How do you like the Honda? I was looking at them last night online. I am thinking about upgrading from 9.8 merc to 20 hp after realizing I'm too impatient for the power of a 10 hp. :)

panfried,

I like everything about the Honda. This is only our 2nd full season on it but it starts every time, runs well and sips gas.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321840#p321840 said:
Brine » Today, 11:55[/url]"]Good stuff - =D>
Thanks Brine, it was a great time. Family and fishing. It doesn't get much better for me :LOL2: . We went though 200 crickets!

Attachments

• LakeMurray2013 079.jpg
    LakeMurray2013 079.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,764
gillhunter said:
panfried,

I like everything about the Honda. This is only our 2nd full season on it but it starts every time, runs well and sips gas.
Good to hear! Definitely going to check them out at dealer. Did you buy online or locally? Just curious if you found any good pricing deals.

BTW, thanks for the cutting board idea. I used it for a transom plate in stern. Best 5.97 I ever spent. :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321880#p321880 said:
panFried » 5 minutes ago[/url]"]
gillhunter said:
panfried,

Good to hear! Definitely going to check them out at dealer. Did you buy online or locally? Just curious if you found any good pricing deals.

BTW, thanks for the cutting board idea. I used it for a transom plate in stern. Best 5.97 I ever spent. :)
I bought mine locally from the same dealer I bought my boat and trailer from. The downside of a Honda is the price. I checked around and there wasn't enough price difference to not support my local dealer who is a great guy.

do you have any pictures of the cuts you made in the wood for your floors? i have the same boat and my two oldest kids keep tripping so its time for a floor. looks like you had a great day out with the family.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321883#p321883 said:
joseph101088 » Yesterday, 18:18[/url]"]do you have any pictures of the cuts you made in the wood for your floors? i have the same boat and my two oldest kids keep tripping so its time for a floor. looks like you had a great day out with the family.
joseph,

Look at the first couple of pages of my post and you will see pictures of my floors while I was building them. If you need more detail PM me. Good luck on your project, looking forward to seeing your progress!!

gillhunter, I really enjoyed following your build. What an awesome looking rig. I'm about to pick up an older jon boat and hope it turns out half as good as yours. Really nice set up.

Finally got back out on the water after weeks of rain and family issues. Caught a nice little mess of gills.

Attachments

• 082513a.jpg
    082513a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • 082513b.jpg
    082513b.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,637
gillhunter said:
Finally got back out on the water after weeks of rain and family issues. Caught a nice little mess of gills.
That's a nice size for August. Good job and hope you get out a little more this year.