Alumacraft FD Catfish and family boat mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katfish2123

Reaction score
Hey y'all. This boat has been in my family for over 30 years and I want to keep it but make it my own also. When my dad had it he had a Evinrude Lark 35hp on it. The boat is rated for a 40hp. This thing would fly with that motor. He had a casting deck across the front two seats as well as one across the back two seats. A cable steering system hooked the motor to the homemade aluminum steering column with an old Mercury car steering wheel which had a spool mounted to the back of it.

That setup worked well for us for years as a family and for crappie and bass fishing. However, I want to rig it up for catfishing. My wants list is below I know I will be hard pressed to get all of them on this small boat but I think I can adjust as long as I end up with as many checks on the list as I can get.

Remove at least the middle full size seat possibly the back also to make a storage seat
plenty of rod holders all the way around
no carpet because of catfish slime. Anyone ever tried household linoleum? Too slick?
removable rear rack over the motor for more rod holders while anchoring for catfish
As much storage as I can get with an open floor
A good way to hold 8 catfish rods while in transport and while going down the lake
Probably wont paint the outside
Wiring for nav/interior lights as well as plugs for spot lights
Radio???? All it drain the trolling motor battery too quickly. I'm pretty sure my motor has no charging system

Room to put/secure the family stuff for the sand bar. Cooler, bags, sand toys, umbrella etc. for my wife and I, a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

I know it's a heck of a list but I wanted to get all my thoughts out there while I was going so maybe you guys would get an understanding of my situation and make recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any and all replays.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 1,146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 1,146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1,146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 1,146
Here is something I did on the paint program. Something to get thoughts from you guys about. In this case, and probably every case, the back two seats will come out and be replaced with some type of storage/seat concept such as this one. Not sure about where to put the seats. I'm thinking of not putting a driver seat in the rear because the lake I fish mostly isn't that big and is usually very smooth. What I would like is something not permanent that two people could set in/on the casting deck and watch the rod holders toward the rear. Notice the rod holder rack in the rear and the rod holders on the sides. I still have yet to find the best way to mount the rod holders on the sides.

Just trying to get your thoughts/issues you might see with what I'm thinking.

Attachments

• BOAT 1.jpg
    BOAT 1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Got a little bit done today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,069
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 1,069
Got my casting deck done. Now I need to box in my sides and put my floor in. Any ideas on how to best do this and make the floor removable? I will need to remove the floor to wash out the bottom periodically. If you are reading this can you at least let me know its working by replying. As you can see I am the only one that has posted on this board.

You should be able to brace up the bottom deck with some aluminum angle or square tube. If you cut the piece precisely it should friction fit the square area on the bottom deck....or you could attach with carriage bolts and wing nuts on the corner's. Just a thought.

I was thinking of making it friction fit as I don't think I will ever be going out in it without something in the floor. I have some webbing that I was going to attach to the bottom and have it stick out the top for easy removal. How do you think I should box in the sides? Just cut the ply and screw it to the vertical aluminum brackets?
Also, I was thinking of riveting angle pieces to the outside of the boat like I did at the transom duct to hold the lids for the side storage. That should cut down on weight for boxing in the whole side I want the lids to be hinged on the inside edge of the box and open inward. Any thoughts on how this may work? I know I want them to be buck riveted so I don't have leaks. Think this will work??

There are all kinds of ways to put that lower deck in.....I ran aluminum tubing across the ribs and used self tapers in the ribs. I would not go thru the hull at all.....you could also hang vertical bracing from the side lockers down to the ribs and attach with screws. Honestly I learned as I went with my mod......I know you have probably heard this but use the search function and try to adapt other peoples soulutions to the decking. I spent many hours looking at how other people set the decks up. Look at a little snookered, johnboat jerry, country dave....badbadger....just to name a few. There are thousands of mods on here with just about every way to make the deck. I hope this helps. Try to search your boat and see what other people did. It really works. Ask lots of questions too.

Latest posts