Alumacraft V16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosstyle

Reaction score
Good morning, new member with my first post. I recently bought a Alumacraft V16 from my neighbor. I have been around boats for a long time tho. Recently traded in my Crestliner 1850 Superhawk for a pontoon boat.

boat.jpg

Here is my first question: Foam - can I remove it from the 'cubes' in my boat? (see pics) I want to change those to storage.

next question: I want to add a livewell and a casting deck. What do people recommend from livewells? Is it ok to put a casting deck with built in storage across the front two bench seats? I was thinking of attaching a wood ledger idea along the benched with a sort of floating support system (attached to the ledgers but not the boat) below.

Does anyone have a pic of a V16 modded?

Thanks!!

Great forum, I have allot of reading to catch up on!

I have actually been in a boat that has swamped before and was glad for the floatation. I at one time owned a boat with no floatation and it was a source of constant worry. I will never own a boat with no or lessened floatation. Nice clean looking boat and a casting deck would be a nice addition.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I second what Weldor said. I would not take away any foam.
But......
If you build a casting deck, you should be able to add compartments beneath the casting deck and actually add foam.
You can also remove the flat flooring and check to see if there is foam under it. You might be able to add additional foam between the stringers.
You should also take into consideration that the casting deck will add additional weight to the boat. This weight will also work against you if you remove flotation.

Good luck

You can remove the foam, but it needs to be replaced somewhere else. If the boat fills with water, it keeps the boat from sinking to the bottom and leaving you swimming.

With your boat, I would deck over the front bench and bow step, and put in a couple hatches for storage below deck.

As for the livewell, I made one from a Plano sportsman's trunk. With your layout, I think a side mounted livewell would probably be preferable.

Latest posts