Aluminum bolts on transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takern

Reaction score
Greetings. First post here but lurked for quite a while. Anyways, I am going on friday to look at a 16ft mod-v with a 40 hp 2 stroke on the back. I talked to the guy on the phone and asked him a few questions and he told me that the bolts holding the motor to the transom are aluminum. I am under the impression that aluminum bolts are not strong enough to support a motor, but am I wrong? If they are still holding up since 05 would it be worth pulling all the hardware and replacing it with SS and nylon washers?

Also, this boat will be a saltwater boat for the most part for the time being due to my current place of residence. Is there anything I need to do to protect the boat other than washing it when I pull it out and flushing the motor? I read somewhere about spraying under the cowling with a silicone spray?

This will be my first salt water boat so if you have any other tips or tricks for me I am all ears.

You can replace the hardware with stainless steel if it looks questionable.

Pretty sure my 30 HP that was just placed on has aluminum bolts. I say this because they have a dull look instead of your more shiny look like stainless has.

Take a pocket knife and if you can shave off a piece of the bolt easily it's aluminum if not it's SS. Cannot imagine them using aluminum bolts to hold an outboard on with do to stretch. That's why they use fine thread SS bolts because the coarse thread bolts stretch under pressure. I just about found that out the hard way. My 225 hp Merc was about ready to come off the jack plate on my Ranger I used to have. I would replace them with SS fine thread bolts of the proper diameter, with SS washers and brass nyloc nuts or better yet make the dealer do it before you buy the boat. Or make them explain why aluminum bolts and ask if they'll give a written guarantee on how long they'll last.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357142#p357142 said:
WVfishnfool » 26 Jun 2014, 07:39[/url]"]Take a pocket knife and if you can shave off a piece of the bolt easily it's aluminum if not it's SS. Cannot imagine them using aluminum bolts to hold an outboard on with do to stretch. That's why they use fine thread SS bolts because the coarse thread bolts stretch under pressure. I just about found that out the hard way. My 225 hp Merc was about ready to come off the jack plate on my Ranger I used to have. I would replace them with SS fine thread bolts of the proper diameter, with SS washers and brass nyloc nuts or better yet make the dealer do it before you buy the boat. Or make them explain why aluminum bolts and ask if they'll give a written guarantee on how long they'll last.

Its a craigslist boat. I am going to go run by a dealership today and get some input from them as well as look at some other options.

Many (most) of the yamaha bolt-on motors, 25HP and up, come with transom bolts. They bolts are a dull color, look like aluminum, but aluminum they are not. They are a high grade stainless steel that looks like it's got some kind of coating on it. Perhaps that is what you're dealing with?

Probably so in my case now that I think about it. They did torque them down pretty well and if it would have been aluminum it should have snapped.