aluminum vs steel prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mean16 said:
local dealer, if you like i can get you some information when i go out there next week

That would be great... thanks man. Its a 1966 9.8hp (110 model) Merc. All of my local shops say they can no longer get them, if yours can I be glad to order through them.

Thanks again.

i have the guys cell number i will call him tomorrow.

took the boat out this evening caught a 4' gar on on a 3" perch as i was reeling in, man them suckers put up one heck of a fight! took the camera with but flash wouldn't work so pictures didn't turn out. rewired the trailer today and it worked good until i loaded the boat and then nothing... 2 hours later i'm home!

sorry man no luck on a prop for ya, he said you never know what will come through the door though. if you'd be interested in a good used 3 blade he'll let me know if anything comes up that is direct fit/interchangeable

got one! the guy ordered me a 10 pitch and the company sent an 8. don't know what the difference is between the two or how they will act but i got it for $63.72 out the door. they said if i don't like the 8 pitch bring it back and they will order me a 10. was going to the lake this evening but my babysitter just backed out on me, i'll let ya'll know results when i can get on the water!

update:prop wouldn't turn w/o hitting the motor, it's a 9.25 and i need a 8.75 or so (if they make that)

Sounds like they ordered the wrong prop all the way around or the wherever they ordered it from really screwed up.

i think your right... i have searched the net pretty good and came up empty handed. this one is a solas "amita 3" and has a extra wide blade design for 4 stroke motors, but thats not what i need. very nice prop, i wish it would have worked. i'm beginning to wonder if i can even get a 3 blade for a 71-72' 7.5 merc, guess i'll take this one back and take the motor with me in the morning.

well i took the 3 blade back to the dealer today and he had a 2 blade that fit my 7.5 so i snached it up for $20 which saved me $43.75. the origional prop is a 6 pitch and this one has a 9 pitch. whats going to be the difference between the two? i called iboats service center and they only had parts for a 1976 and mine is a 1971 so i guess they wouldn't interchange and the mercury service guy thought i was dumb or something because he didn't know why i would even want to put a 3 blade on such a small motor.

any luck perchin?

here they are side by side
https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k390/1996gmcjimmy/props.jpg

That all depends on how much of a load your boat is for that motor.

Theoretically, it will be faster... if the motor can handle it.

You will drop somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 rpm with a jump in pitch that steep.

no luck here ...... honestly i've been waiting to see what your results were before i made an order from the same place . i've been hoping it made a noticeable difference on yours , then on my 10hp. that would make a difference . Hmmm. i've also been looking for a 15hp without any luck so far.

Wow,that one looks pretty wide(longer)as well.
Is it going to spin without hitting?
Like mentioned before,if your motor has the power,in theroy you should go faster.

mean16 said:
well i took the 3 blade back to the dealer today and he had a 2 blade that fit my 7.5 so i snached it up for $20 which saved me $43.75. the origional prop is a 6 pitch and this one has a 9 pitch. whats going to be the difference between the two? i called iboats service center and they only had parts for a 1976 and mine is a 1971 so i guess they wouldn't interchange and the mercury service guy thought i was dumb or something because he didn't know why i would even want to put a 3 blade on such a small motor.

any luck perchin?

here they are side by side
https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k390/1996gmcjimmy/props.jpg
I found this link,to me it says that the 68-85 all take the same type prop?
Opps forgot the link:) https://www.propcopropellers.com/mercury_Outboard_Propellers.htm
I say this because then the 1976 prop on iboats(3 blade/3 different pitches) should fit./
Also found this link about a guy with a similar motor(81 I think)and he found a 4 blade prop(Solas part number (1113-100-07)).
Heres the article,I only read the first 2 paragraphs.
https://www.sailingtalks.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29192.html

i thought so too but it is flared out at the front then goes to the same diameter as the old one. about 1/4" of the rear goes into the l/u as the original did too. i put it on at the shop before i bought it, it spun freely and the shop owner also inspected it, but it is quite a bit larger.

i also have the reverse problem as mentioned in the link above. i was hoping it was just because of the crappy prop i had on there. what is he talking about drilling a hole in the exhaust chamber? i just started to camo the boat and wasn't planning on taking it out until it was done but i don't think i can wait that long.

thanks for the info zum, i picked this one up cheap enough where i can research this and maybe get in contact with solas and find a 3 blade made for speed instead of thrust

I must have missed the discussion about drilling a hole but that is normally done to help get your boat on plane with high pitch props.

Mercury puts ventilation holes on many of their props for their larger motors as standard. I can't remember if mine has 3 or 4 holes in it. I have them all plugged with solid plugs because I don't have planing issues.

The holes let a small amount of exhaust gas out which will ventilate your prop and get your rpm's up to help it plane. Once you get up to speed, the water pressure causes the holes to seal off.

My motor acts like it has a spun hub with the largest diameter set of plugs in the holes until it bites.

with this old boat and motor i'd be happy if it came colse to plane, any improvement would be better than what i had.
Quackrstackr i'd take a kick in the face for your boat #-o

Just depends on who you talk to and where you are.

We have some nice deer but there's no wallhanger behind every tree like the hunting media is protraying us to have.

Latest posts