Anchor Light Length

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to order an LED plug in type anchor light, and have been debating on what length to get. While night fishing I envision someone sitting on a pin mounted seat on the rear bench that has a deck going all the way back to the transom. So I want to make sure I get something tall enough to keep the glare out of whoever is back there eyes. Mostly it will be used in the early morning hours while running to a duck/goose hunting hole, so I don't want anything obnoxisouly long. Should I be looking for a certain length? Or maybe there is something out there that is anti-glare?

as you probably know, the law says the white anchor light must be visible from 360 degrees, so usually it must be higher than anything else on the boat in order to meet that requirement, meaning if you wanna be coast guard legal, you'll have to install of those goofy looking, easily breakable long light poles.

some folks tape or paint the forward facing 30 degrees or so of the light, to reduce the blinding factor, yet still meet the "visible from 360 degrees" rule. personally, i just turn mine off if i need to see behind me. if i'm on or near the bank, i'll leave it off, if i'm in the middle of the river or underway, then obviously i'll leave it on.

mines on the cowling, not on a pole, so a real stickler could probably ticket me for it not being high enough to see from certain angles from the front, but after seeing the game warden's boat w/ the same setup as mine, i think i'll be ok. i've yet to see the coast guard out on the river @ 3am during duck season :wink: practically, i'm quite visible from 360 degrees because if my head or something is blocking the anchor light from an oncoming boat, then they'd be able to see the red or green nav lights.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was called an anchor light because you only have it on while anchoring, not while underway?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317857#p317857 said:
parkerdog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:07 pm[/url]"]Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was called an anchor light because you only have it on while anchoring, not while underway?

Yeah - not sure why they still use that term - correct term is 360 white light and YOU HAVE to have it on all the time

I think people are confusing to different lights.
There is a anchor light...used when anchored,shines 360 degrees.
The other light would be a masthead light...normally used on bigger boats when underway,it DOESN'T shine to the rear...I can't remember right now the degree but 112 is in my head so maybe it's alittle more than 90 degrees on either side and all the way to the front...used with a transom light when underway.

You can use your anchor with your bow lights on smaller boats.

Lights required in low light...typically defined in terms of time after sunset and before sunrise at most places on the water except docked. White stern light visible form 360 degrees while at anchor (often referred to as an anchor light). Typically a 36 inch rise above the deck required. If under way a red/green bow light is required in addition to the white light. Local regs and enforcement may vary, so know your particular requirements.

I think the people who think people are confused are the confused ones. ;-)

What I said applies to the anchor light at night. I do a lot of night fishing while anchored.