And so it begins...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmshoemaker

Reaction score
Well, here she is -- a 1983, 84 or 85 16' Polarkraft (I'll have to find the serial number when it's out in the light of day). What the heck have I gotten myself into? I'll be honest, I don't know if I'll have the wherewithall to complete this project, but my best chance is to put it out there for accountability. Day one involved trying to extract it from behind my dad's garage. There were several saplings that had to be cut down that had grown in front of it. And I can't back my truck in to couple the old trailer because in the 25 years since it has been touched, my dad has built a retaining wall that blocks access. Even if I could, only the top half of the tires are above ground -- that thing aint movin. Plan B -- pull the boat straight through, across the front of the trailer. I got to work unbolting the bow post from the tongue -- after about 3 cranks, it desintigrated and broke in half. Couldn't budge the boat. I realized the foot of water in the back, along with the sludge and gunk probably added about 500 pounds, so I shoveled gunk, wiggled, jiggled and pushed and pulled, but the years have sort of welded it to the trailer. Finally, I came up with a plan to hook a come-along to a tree out in front of it and see if I could get it to move. An hour later, with a lot of groaning and straining on a big fat maple tree, it seemed to break free. Day one progress, removal of a rusted bow post and about 3 feet of forward movement! Hope to get out there tomorrow and get it the rest of the way off the trailer... baby steps

Attachments

• jungle boat 3.jpg
    jungle boat 3.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,496
  • Jungle boat 1.jpg
    Jungle boat 1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,496
  • jungle boat 2.jpg
    jungle boat 2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,496
Well this is an adventure [emoji1]
By the way what is the other boat in the bushes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that will be project #2 -- it's a really nice v-bottom that we used to use in the Chesapeake. In much better shape than the green one, but not the best for all the shallow water I want to use the green boat for. I am going to extract that as soon as I get the green one out of the way. It will get moved to an area behind those bushes and get cleaned up and moved to where it can be easily accessed. It will sit on whatever's left of the old trailer while the green one is put on a new trailer that I have bought.

Cool looking forward to these builds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! Well at least you know it will hold water. Soon as you get it out of there, clean that back end out real good, look real close at the bare aluminum spots and if it has a bunch of pin hole impressions or corrosion areas, If it does, put it back behind the barn and grab the other boat.

For the first time in almost 30 years, she has emerged from behind the garage!! dearl, I sanded a few spots down to the bare aluminum, and granted, i have no idea what I'm looking at/for, but I didn't see anything that looked like pinholes or other signs of corrosion. It was bumpy, but I think that was just where the paint had bubbled up. The bare aluminum felt smooth. The transom is another story -- looks like a thin sheet of aluminum that has separated from whatever's underneath it. If any structural issues need to be addressed, i think it'll be here.

Attachments

• 20170514_105415.jpg
    20170514_105415.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 20170514_105423.jpg
    20170514_105423.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,379
Good Deal, Glad you got it out. Give it a good cleaning, then you can inspect and see what your working with. Polar craft makes a good Boat, Don't worry about the transom, that'll be the easy part Lol.

That trailer is way too small for that boat. The bunks should run all the way to the end of the transom & overhang a smidge. You can extend them but you'll have to make sure they don't flex so they actually support the boat.

Looks like a nice wide setup, is it a 16'?

thanks so much for your input, onthewater. The picture is a little misleading. The winch was not wound all the way here, and the boat is kind of askew -- front out to the left. I will post a pic with it on the trailer all the way when I can -- when it is all the way on, the transom and the boat are almost flush (or at least I thought -- now I'm not so sure). Don't worry, the trailer is also under construction, and will have new bottom and side bunks when the finance committee (aka Mrs. pmshoemaker) approves further purchases. No highway travel anytime soon. I greatly value your feedback!! Just saw the 2nd part of your comment -- yes, it's a 16ft. extra wide (according to my dad, who remembers asking for an extra wide when he bought it 30 years ago). I'll measure the beam once I get it re-located to my house and construction begins in earnest. I don't want to try to haul it without some sort of side guides.

Latest posts