Another Old gas/Stabil gas question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Got a 13 gallon tank, topped it off last summer with about 5 gals of new gas - this was on top of about 8 gallons of old gas from the summer before (2007). So, now in the boat is a mix of 2007 & 2008 gas.. Added Stabil prior to both winters.

So, now I'm bringing the boat out of storage (inside, unheated building) and taking it out on a trip. It has a full tank of old fuel with oil & Stabil.

What do you think? Will this gas work okay? Or should I dispose of all 13 gallons (full tank) and put in new gas before my first time out. It is not a local trip, so if gas is bad, I'll be screwed.

Note: I tried to syphon the old gas out last fall, but couldn't get a hose down in the tank far enough to get a syphon going, thats why we left the old gas in and added Stabil (it's a built in tank with just a filler tube.

Thoughts??

long away trip old gas could be a disaster...
can you use your fuel line to drain the tank? the connector that hooks to the motor can be removed and add a piece of hose with a coupler and pump your ball that should start it draining...

good luck Wayne

It may be okay but with 2 year old gas and a road trip, I wouldn't chance it.

The method described by redbug is exactly the way that I drained the 2 year old gas out of the ski boat that I sold last summer.

redbug said:
long away trip old gas could be a disaster...
can you use your fuel line to drain the tank? the connector that hooks to the motor can be removed and add a piece of hose with a coupler and pump your ball that should start it draining...

good luck Wayne

Never thought of that, it might work??? Worth a try - better than being a a swift river with no motor working :x

FishingCop said:
Never thought of that, it might work???

There is no doubt about it. Take the engine connector off, pump the bulb and it will siphon out like crazy. Make sure you have enough receptacles on hand to catch all of the old gas.

Latest posts