Old Gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both stabil and sea foam with great results. I would not run the old fuel in your boat, dump it in other vehicles like trucks and cars. You can mix in at 15% without doing any harm.

I've found and have verified this in several places, that Stabil floats on top your fuel which creates an air barrier. This keeps the air from reacting with the gas which keeps it from going bad. The rub is if you disturb the vehicle, or the can, you break that film and it can't be reestablished. So really the only true application is for your summertime car which you are going to park and not move over the winter. Not sure if that is going to do anything to save the gas in your fuel bowl though......

On the other hand SF mixes with the gas so no worries about moving vehicles and cans around. I learned this the hard way when I decided to leave my tractor gassed up over the winter with Stabil in it. Every spring the carb was clogged. Decided not worth the headache just so can move firewood around. My wheelbarrow never lets me down!

I've found and have verified this in several places, that Stabil floats on top your fuel which creates an air barrier. This keeps the air from reacting with the gas which keeps it from going bad. The rub is if you disturb the vehicle, or the can, you break that film and it can't be reestablished. So really the only true application is for your summertime car which you are going to park and not move over the winter. Not sure if that is going to do anything to save the gas in your fuel bowl though......

On the other hand SF mixes with the gas so no worries about moving vehicles and cans around. I learned this the hard way when I decided to leave my tractor gassed up over the winter with Stabil in it. Every spring the carb was clogged. Decided not worth the headache just so can move firewood around. My wheelbarrow never lets me down!
I use a shot of Seafoam in my tractor, and I use it all winter. She starts right up.

You might find this interesting if you heat with wood:
I love that little thing. Makes mornings better!

That's pretty cool. Be nice to have one of those next to my smoker. Where did you get that at?

Many of my small toys use different oil ratios so I have a number of small one gallon gas cans on my shelf. Stabil is colored, very easy to see when it mixes into the fuel. In my experiences the stabil mixes in and stays that way. I shouldn't mention this but my small fuel containers are see thru...not regulation I know...but each is marked with a gasoline sticker and the oil ratio. Would be very easy to see if the stabil seperated...not sure I would agree with those findings!!

Thanks for the link, that's going on my Xmas list! Interesting about the Stabil. What the heck do you keep your fuel in, milk jugs??? LOL Ever consider just premixing one can with the max amount of oil? Your other stuff should run just fine with a little extra oil, right? Seems like a pain in the hiney to me to have a bunch of diff mixtures on the shelf.

Thanks for the link, that's going on my Xmas list! Interesting about the Stabil. What the heck do you keep your fuel in, milk jugs??? LOL Ever consider just premixing one can with the max amount of oil? Your other stuff should run just fine with a little extra oil, right? Seems like a pain in the hiney to me to have a bunch of diff mixtures on the shelf.
Not really, each machine runs perfect with the proper mix. When you start cheating on the ratio's is when issues arrise. Between chainsaws, weed trimmers, outboard motors, snow blowers and others much easier to keep several small containers on hand. A ounce of sea foam and each makes them good for the year. Been doing this for 25 years and never had a problem...yet !!

Gallon of Gallo! (ahem. Cough. lol. Dad did it all the time down on the coast so you could see if there was water in it.)

Changing the fuel oil ratio also changes the air fuel ratio - more oil means less gas in the same volume, makes it run leaner. I'll admit that I'm guilting of running 32:1 in everything but the boat, but adjusting the carb on a small two stroke is standard operating procedure. Don't tell California, but I trash their mixture screw limiters on day one.

Last edited: