Old Gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Just wondering what the thoughts are with old gas? I usually strain it thoroughly and then burn it in my pickup. Thing is, I managed to get stuck with two 6 gal tanks pretty much full of premix for my two boats. Doubt if going to use up more than just a little before calling it quits for the season. To make matters worse, when I acquired the Crestliner a few weeks ago I transferred what was left in the tank into a spare and have 2-3 gals more! So I got at least 12 gals of 2 stroke gas that am not planning to run through the boats anytime soon.

So how much premix is too much to put in the truck? As long as I strain it, can I just burn the stuff? My truck is a little low right now and I could prob put ALL of it in, but is that a good idea? Would it be better to just leave the gas in the boats for the winter? Both tanks have SeaFoam in them. Last year I used one tank of gas off and on all winter while tinkering with motors and it never seemed to degrade. I topped it off in the spring and all seemed well. The Fastwin never complained once.

I would put stabil storage in both those tanks and not worry about it. It sounds like you will use whatever is left over from winter In the spring so I can't see the harm. I've been doing the same for years without issue. I buy 87 with 10% ethanol in bulk delivered to the farm and it takes me roughly a year to go through it. I treat it the days it's delivered and I've never had a problem that was fuel related.

Isn't SeaFoam just as good if not better though? I've used both, but never together. I read that Stabil forms a film that keeps the air away from the fuel, but SF actually mixes with the fuel. If the film is disturbed the protection is over. No idea if this is true, but have had better results with SF.

It might be I always thought seafoam was more of a cleaner than a stabilizer but I could be wrong . I do know that the stabil has worked . When ethanol first became common we ran into several issues especially in our old 2 cylinder John deere.

I like Sea Foam a lot. I do use regular gas in everything. Do not like corn syrup in the gas tank. We have two gas stations here in town that supply regular gas. I have used Sea Foam as a stabilizer in the lawn mower and other equipment with no issues.

I have used both stabil and sea foam with great results. I would not run the old fuel in your boat, dump it in other vehicles like trucks and cars. You can mix in at 15% without doing any harm. I also use Lucas oil fuel treatment with good results in old fuels. My neighbor collects old cars and uses the lucas stuff with E10 fuel in his old cars, no issues !!

Assuming your truck has a ~25 gallon tank, I wouldn't put more than 5 gallons in a full tank at a time. It also depends on the truck, if it direct injected or turbocharged, don't take the chance. In any model, catalytic converters do not like burning oil and they are not cheap so dilution is the safest bet.

I ran a lot of old premix and gas/diesel mix in my 06 Chevy. The cats were long gone and it didn't seem to mind, but you could definitely tell when the diesel was mixed in a little bit strong. I can't say I would try it with my new truck.

Last edited:
I brought about 5 gal home of pre-mix, from my Merc 25hp. Trying to burn it in chainsaw, weed eater, and leaf blower, all 2 strokes. I wouldn't think burnng it in car/truck that the oil would be good for the O2 sensor/plugs/cats.

Well crap. Seems opinions vary widely. Now really don't know what to do with the stuff. For reference truck is a 98 Silverado, 5.7, fuel injected. I have burned old gas including marine mix in it before, but I've never had this much.

I brought about 5 gal home of pre-mix, from my Merc 25hp. Trying to burn it in chainsaw, weed eater, and leaf blower, all 2 strokes. I wouldn't think burnng it in car/truck that the oil would be good for the O2 sensor/plugs/cats.
Just a few gallons at a time is fine. Just think what those sensors go thru when you get poor fuel from a gas station?

You won't know how much was too much until your engine quits or you get a check engine light. Then it will be too late.
The majority of check e fine lights are from gas caps not tightened or leaking fumes. If your vehicle is around 4 years old then your battery is getting old and will make it come on. With todays fancy electronics your battery needs to be full, when they become weak from age the check engine light comes on. These come on now for everyhing so the dealers can get there big bucks !!

Well crap. Seems opinions vary widely. Now really don't know what to do with the stuff. For reference truck is a 98 Silverado, 5.7, fuel injected. I have burned old gas including marine mix in it before, but I've never had this much.
Just use a couple/ few gallons at a time, no problem. However if it really bothers you, just toss it out, loosing 20 bucks worth of fuel is cheaper than a repair bill !!

Toss out gas? Whatcha guys doing pouring it into the lake? Guess I'll burn it a little at a time, although I'm still considering just letting is sit in the tanks all winter. I ran the carbs dry on the Merc today and drained the bowls. Any gunk which magically materializes should get caught in the filter, eh?

Toss out gas? Whatcha guys doing pouring it into the lake? Guess I'll burn it a little at a time, although I'm still considering just letting is sit in the tanks all winter. I ran the carbs dry on the Merc today and drained the bowls. Any gunk which magically materializes should get caught in the filter, eh?
NO,,,, filters don't always stop the goo or whatever developes. The real question is just how old is the gas ??
If less than a year and if it was treated with a stabilizer it will be ok if used quickly. If over a year, why chance it ?