Any advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake76126

Reaction score
I have been thru every single V Hull project on this site. Great ideas and I would love to put a flat flooring and front deck on this; however, this boat is VERY unstable and think it would only make it worst. I am thinking to keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. With that being said, does simply warping 1/4 plywood to match center deck formers and SMALL and low flat platform for front sound like a decent idea? What I have in my head is 1/2 inch plywood from back seat to transom, warp 1/4 for first 4 formers, cover 1/4 with fiberglass for strength, placing flat middle seat connecting port and starboard sides and finally placing flat plat form in front. Any feed back on this would be GREATLY appreciated (constructive criticism or agreement wanted).

Also, does anyone know what kind of boat this is? Is 14ft in length and has had oars on it. By looking at old transom, it had a small motor on it at one point. After going thru a million searches, I still do not have a clue what it is. I put a Lone Star on the title, but now I am second guessing it.

Thanks Gents and I appreciate your inputs

Jake

Attachments

• First Alum 2 copy.jpg
    First Alum 2 copy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 918
I have a small, skinny flat bottom.. Its not verry stable either

I found it to get even worse with a swivel seat... Since all my weight was permanently mounted in one spot, any time i turn the seat the boat would lean to an uncomfortable angle.... If i had another person in the boat, we had to announce before turning around, if we both turned at the same time im sure we would have gone overboard

Instead, i put a cooler in place of the seat... It doesn't look as cool as a traditional boat seat, but its surprisingly comfortable...... Its the perfect height for my legs, I can reposition myself anytime the boat leans, I can use it for ballance when launching from a shallow shore... And, it doubles as a cooler!

Just paint the bottom and put down some mats instead of wood. They should fit nicely between the ribs, give you some traction and will be easy to clean.

Think they sell some at tractor supply.

In your boat there, I think what I would do is put a 2x2 rib lengthwise right down the center - seal the wood real good - and then put a 2-piece floor in it resulting in a slight v-shape. This will give you a flat floor (but with a slight slope to the center), while maximizing floor size and keeping it low. Look at the factory floor in this Alumacraft for reference.
october2011_006_op_800x600.jpg

-CN- said:
In your boat there, I think what I would do is put a 2x2 rib lengthwise right down the center - seal the wood real good - and then put a 2-piece floor in it resulting in a slight v-shape. This will give you a flat floor (but with a slight slope to the center), while maximizing floor size and keeping it low. Look at the factory floor in this Alumacraft for reference.
october2011_006_op_800x600.jpg

That is a great Idea. Thank you and appreciate the help.

Jake

Ictalurus said:
Just paint the bottom and put down some mats instead of wood. They should fit nicely between the ribs, give you some traction and will be easy to clean.

Think they sell some at tractor supply.

This way will be cheaper/and a ton faster to do. This is something I am going to have to consider

. Thank you

JRammit said:
I have a small, skinny flat bottom.. Its not verry stable either

I found it to get even worse with a swivel seat... Since all my weight was permanently mounted in one spot, any time i turn the seat the boat would lean to an uncomfortable angle.... If i had another person in the boat, we had to announce before turning around, if we both turned at the same time im sure we would have gone overboard

Instead, i put a cooler in place of the seat... It doesn't look as cool as a traditional boat seat, but its surprisingly comfortable...... Its the perfect height for my legs, I can reposition myself anytime the boat leans, I can use it for ballance when launching from a shallow shore... And, it doubles as a cooler!

Good call. Yeah,not gonna go with the swivel seats, just a hard mounted bench. I am gonna use the bench cause I need support on the sides and honestly, never been too much of a fan of swivel seats. Only down side to having a bench is trying to maneuver over it.
Thanks for responding and hopefully I will have this project done in a few weekends and put pics up