Any Steelhead Fishermen here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennyg3

Reaction score
Hey all,

Like the title says. I am going on a steelhead trip jan 1st and 2nd to pulaski NY. My plan is to take my 7'6" M action spinning rod, spooled with some light line (4lb), and to also take my heavier of 2 flyrod. I have a 9' mid flex St. Croix 5wt. I'm wondering if the fly rod will be enough. I have a feeling that I may be a little outgunned if I get a big one on, but am I way underpowered here? I usually use this setup for smallies, and although I have caught some pretty good sized smallies I know this doesn't compare to a 10lb. steelhead. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Regardless of the outcome of this trip I will get lots of pics and post em up so stay tuned!

im on the west coast of b.c.,and if i tried to use those rods,they wouldnt last thru 1 fish. you need at least an 8wt.,or better yet a spey rod.my go to rod is a shimano convergence 10'6"med.heavy slow action with 20 lb. test and15 lb. leader and i lose more than i catch. make sure you have a good reel with a disc drag,cuz they run like hell and they run far.usually into rapids,so you need a rod with backbone.you do know the're known as the fish of a thousand casts,dont you? :D 10 lbs. sounds a little small.over here they run 15,20lbs average.

I know a few guys that fish the Erie, PA & Paulski, NY salmon/steelhead runs every year. They swear by 9' - 9.5' noodle rods spooled with 6-8 lb floro. The rods can be had for around $50-$80 online (match the rod to the line weight you will be using). This is not a setup that you can stand and fight a fish with. Be prepared to "chase" your hooked fish up and down river. I've used a noodle and #4 floro locally for shad, and can tell you it's some of the best fun I've had with my clothes on. :wink:

Here's one guys list of necessary stuff (he uses #4 floro, but #6-8 for beginners is best).....
4 lb Seaguar fluro (not cheap, but mandatory if you want to catch them)
9 ft "noodle" rod (check out fishusa.com. ---the Black Diamond rod is a good choice, lots of guys here use one of these)...rated for 2-10lb line
25 or 50 size 16 mustad wet fly or nymph hooks....personally I like the nymph hooks but either will be fine.
Some small floats, the kind with the peg that allow you to adjust.

used to go to pulaski for winter steelhead. used an 8'6" rod W/ about 18"- 2' of 6 or 8# maxima leader, usually 6#. the longer rods allow use of lighter line, which usually results in more hookups. that's why a lot of guys use noodle rods. can get snagged a lot in salmon river, so may pay to use heavier line on reel, and just attach the lighter leader.

Thanks for the tips guys. With all the $$$ that I spent on christmas, I'm not going to be getting any new rods (save for some line, ect...). Just curious as to everyone's thoughts. I guess if I do manage to hook a big metalhead on my 5wt. I'll be putting on my running shoes. haha. I know the odds are stacked against me, but I think that makes me even more inclined to try it.

For where your fishing your rods will work just fine. You may loose a few fish but you are there for the fun. The Rivers in NY. are not as big running as BC. just make sure you have plenty of backing on the flyrod and on the spinning rod 6 or 8 on the reel and use 4 lbs leader

willfishforfood said:
For where your fishing your rods will work just fine. You may loose a few fish but you are there for the fun. The Rivers in NY. are not as big running as BC. just make sure you have plenty of backing on the flyrod and on the spinning rod 6 or 8 on the reel and use 4 lbs leader

This was my thoughts exactly. Glad someone else agrees with me, as I was a little nervous. haha