Anybody ever rebuilt a lower unit?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickT

Reaction score
I pretty much got a boat (1448), motor ('80 Erude 25), and trailer for free. However, the lower unit needs work. I know that I will have to replace the clutch dog and a couple other pieces. I'm going to take the whole thing apart to clean out the metal shavings and I'll replace the seals while I'm in there. Anyone have anything that I should look out for? This is my first time.

I have done a few. The only thing I will tell you is to get a good shop manual, with parts diagrams, and take a few mental pictures of everything as it comes out. It really isn't hard, just a matter of taking pieces out, and putting them back in. No diagnosis involved, like is often the case with upper ends.

Pretty straight forward. Look your clutch dogs over for wear. Look the gears over for a even wear pattern. Clean everything with diesel fuel in a shallow pan if you don't have acess to a parts washer. Clean the sealing surfaces well and use new seals to re-install. I tore this lower down after recieving the motor and found very little oil in the case. (poor thing) This is as I found it. Motor has logged 230 miles "gps'd" since. lol.lol..

Latest posts