Anybody have any pics of 10' Jon Mods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that 10' is extremely short for mods but I'm not looking to build a casting deck, more just a little something to A: hold a trolling motor, B: fish finder C: potentially a cleat or two. I was thinking maybe just leaving just enough room w/ a little door (lockable) to stow away some life jackets, first aid kit (for the "errant lure"), net etc etc. I'm looking to keep this as low budget as possible but ANY ideas are most welcome. Tight lines guys!

:?: :idea: :?:

LH28

LH28:

any of the posts about putting a deck on a jon boat woudl apply here - you woudl just be putting a smaller deck on :wink:

I suggest that you put maybe a 3 foot raised (to gunnel level) section in the bow for the TM and storage and then deck the rest of the boat low - just to give you a nice flat floor to stand on

the problem with decking such a small boat is that standing become difficult (and possible unsafe) becuase of stability

Can you stand in the boat now safely?

:WELCOME:

I have a 10 footer.It's to unstable to stand in but mine is super narrow at 27 inches across the floor.I've stalled out because of budget and lack of a metal supplier.I have a small seat type area in the front that I will deck over, mount my trolling motor on,and cut out the center for my trolling battery.It'll make more sense when I do it.I have links below to how my boat looked when I first brought it back from the farm where I used it years ago.The seats cracked the benches,so I will have to replace those because they are structural.I wouldn't deck a 10' unless it has a 36 inch floor.

I am not looking to build a casting deck. All I want is something sturdy enough to essentially have a small deck that would hold a trolling motor mount if I ever bought one and double as storage underneath as listed in my first post. I would like to mount a fish finder on it hard wired to a secured area (not sure how yet) holding a couple of 6v batteries quietly as well as maybe a navigation bow light that I could use in the fog/dark.

I'm not expecting it to be big enough to work as a casting deck nor would I want to as I feel that 10' is not stable enough as it is. This will balance out the weight distribution (hopefully) and keep the bow a little more controllable in on a good windy day. I would like to keep my achor in there, rope, a dry kit of clothes, rain gear, whatever I might need, just so it's stowed out of the way. I might have to cut out that front bench to accomplish this but don't expect to yet. I guess I'm thinking no longer than say half way to the bench (3-4'?), leaving enough foot room to move comfortably either sitting down or kneeling on the padded bench seat. I'd eventually like to take the pads off the bench and I was thinking of adding a bike/pro seat up front that raises and lowers and maybe something more comfortable in back but I'm not rushing that just yet. I don't want to add too much weight to it as I have no trailer and I have to launch the old fashioned way. I work hard enough to get to go fishing in the first place, I'd rather not have to work that hard while I'm fishing.

Tight lines,

LH28

I launch and load out of the back of my truck by myself.I have a 5 horsepower motor that can be taken off or put on in just a few minutes.Same with my trolling motor.

I don't see why building a small deck would be a problem up there, as long as you don't want to stand on it. My advice is to connect it to the gunwales, not just the bench. Some of those 10 footers are real flimsy, and once you do any cutting in the bench, you will want more bracing across the top. You would probably want a back mount hatch, since you can't really get too far forward to get a top hatch, and you could probably reach a back hatch easier from the front seat. I would also recommend putting your battery in the stern.

bassboy1 said:
I don't see why building a small deck would be a problem up there, as long as you don't want to stand on it. My advice is to connect it to the gunwales, not just the bench. Some of those 10 footers are real flimsy, and once you do any cutting in the bench, you will want more bracing across the top. You would probably want a back mount hatch, since you can't really get too far forward to get a top hatch, and you could probably reach a back hatch easier from the front seat. I would also recommend putting your battery in the stern.

The plan with my nose seat is, to have the battery sit on it and stick up through a small deck.The deck will be bolted to the gunwales and bow brace.The battery hold down will connect to the deck.My trolling motor will mount to the deck, when I am fishing with my one of my sons.When I am alone, the troller will be mounted on the transom.I don't have enough room for a rear hatch.Both my benches are split in the center.The plan is to remove the benches one at a time,use aluminum angle to reframe the benches,and then add 1/2 inch plywood with seat brackets.

BassBoy1,

You seem to get where I getting at. Yeah, I was thinking of putting in a backhatch, not a top hatch. I don't expect to have much room there anyway. I don't think or really want to cut out the front bench b/c as you said, it'd weaken the boat, which of course is not exactly wise for someone who plays a little rough w/ his toys. I plan on putting my main 12v marine battery (heavy thing) on the stern. For now, what I'm having to do is put it in front of the front seat when I want to fish solo and reverse my tm to work as a bow mounted. This way my wires reach the thing. It takes some manuvering but something I don't mind doing right now at least until I can work on having a 55# tm in back for boogying down the lake quicker. Most of my fishing I expect will be solo, that being said, I think it'd be easier for me to keep my gear in the center floorspace and the 15# anchor (for times when want to sit and jig, esp in windy condit) in the stern. Yeah, 15# is problably more than plenty for weight for this thing but I don't ever expect to need just a small 10# mushroom. It just is the wrong type of anchor and seems too light for most conditions/currents where I fish. Most of the time I'm just getting blown around and hardly fishing, which is almost a waste of time...unless I end up trolling, not my preferred method.

Ben2Go,
I like your pics, hope that your project works for you. I definitely plan on attaching anything I put up to the gunwales. the previous owner didn't and it's a shoddy job, using regular carpenter's nails into the hull! At least for right now, the camo paint is protecting them and it's not leaking. When I have the time/space I might see about pulling them and filling in the holes...but it's not broke yet.

Any thoughts on the bike seat idea?

LH28

I had a ten foot tracker topper that I had two removable decks on I will post pics later... I can't post pics from my iPod in school :roll:

I have a bow seat in my 14 ft boat and it is closed to almost the floor. It an easy place to put stuff and would be pretty asy to build a deck on the top for a trolling motor and basicaly box it in. Not sure how yours is setup but with mine I could see being able to leave the seat and still have storage....of course mine is a 14 foot boat too....post up some pics of your boat when you get a chance.

I don't have any mods done yet on mine. I'm still gathering ideas until the weather cooperates.

Latest posts