Anybody know how to do this???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
I need a good recipe and some info on cooking trout. I usually fish for bass and deep fry them but never cooked much rainbow. I figure it,s best grilled but i'm open for suggestions!
I took my 2 boys this morning down to a fishing derby in Mammoth Spring AR and they wound up with 16.2 pounds of rainbow.
So.............I'd like to finish it off with some good tastin trout to go along with their good trip we had!! Thanks :D

gut it and rinse it, dredge in flour, put one large sprig of fresh rosemary inside cavity, cook for 3-5 minutes a side in clarified butter over medium heat.
clarified butter: in saucepan put 2 or 3 lbs of unsalted butter and let sit on stove on the LOWEST heat possible. do NOT stir, when it all melts, about an hour, spoon off the crud on top (milk solids), and then ladle out the butterfat. the bottom inch or so will be water, throw it away. now you have pure butterfat, wont burn or splatter and allows you to cook up to about 375 degrees, put it in the fridge covered and you have enough to last a couple months.

whole cleaned trout
1 tsp. butter
green onion, chopped
dried parsley to taste
pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste

Clean and rinse each trout and place 1 tablespoon of butter inside of each cavity. Add a good amount of onions, garlic, salt and pepper also. Sprinkle the outside of each trout with salt, pepper and parsley flakes. Double wrap each trout individually in tin foil. Place on grill and cook for about 8 minutes on one side, the flip each packet and cook an additional 5 minutes.

one full trout filleted
orange slices
lemon slices
lime slices
olive oil
fresh dill
s&p
butter
cilantro
tarragon
paprika
cedar plank "soaked in water for an hour"

Fire up the grill till coals reach about 300-350 degrees.
Rub the entire board in olive oil, lay fish on board, oil fish, salt n pepper it, cover entire fish with herbs then lay slices of citrus on fish alternating them, put a few pats of butter on then, sprinkle with paprika and put the whole mess on the grill for about 15-20 minutes or till the fish is flaky and VIOLA!

Serve it with a simple lemon butter cream sauce.

Popeye said:
one full trout filleted
orange slices
lemon slices
lime slices
olive oil
fresh dill
s&p
butter
cilantro
tarragon
paprika

Rub the entire board in olive oil, lay fish on board, oil fish, salt n pepper it, cover entire fish with herbs then lay slices of citrus on fish alternating them, put a few pats of butter on then, sprinkle with paprika and put the whole mess on the grill for about 15-20 minutes or till the fish is flaky and VIOLA!

Sounds good !!! I'll bet it would be excellent using Salmon rather than trout.

great recipes fellers. i have a few brownies left in the freezer trying to think of a new way to cook um up

i think im going to have to try docs first. i love me some onion an peppers :lol:

DocWatson said:
Popeye said:
one full trout filleted
orange slices
lemon slices
lime slices
olive oil
fresh dill
s&p
butter
cilantro
tarragon
paprika

We use Steelhead Trout (Rainbow) for this. Salmon would be just as good though.

I get the grill preheating.

I take the skin on trout fillet and drizzle on olive oil.

Then I sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper followed by one or two dried herbs. A bit of lemon if I am in the mood.

Put them on the grill skin side down for about 10 minutes.

Easy and pretty good.

Popeye said:
DocWatson said:

We use Steelhead Trout (Rainbow) for this. Salmon would be just as good though.

Do steelheads have pink or red flesh like the salmon ?? I think I've seen them in local supermarkets from time to time, but have never eaten one.

DocWatson said:
Do steelheads have pink or red flesh like the salmon ?? I think I've seen them in local supermarkets from time to time, but have never eaten one.

Yes they do. Their fillets look nearly identical to the Salmon fillets. The Brown Trout out of Lake Michigan have more of an orange color and are more suitable for smoking (my opinion).

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try the steelhead the next time I see them in the store. I never would have thought that a brown trout could have orange flesh. They are not sea-run fish are they ??

Well none of these are actually sea run either. they pretty much just live in the lake and come into the streams and harbors during the spawn. No idea as to why the Browns are more orange-ish. Not really orange like the fruit, just a sort of like this

We like our trout best when we are camping. We bread it with cornmeal and flour and fry it in butter over the open fire.

Latest posts