Anyone getting out?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm "boatless" whilst waiting for the new boat to be delivered. I hope to have it mid to late May (fingers crossed). Anyway, I'm kind of off the water, though I may try to do some bank fishing in the next couple of weeks.

Is anyone getting out? Limits? Skunks? Anything? We need some fishing reports here on TB.net.

Maybe next week. Weather isn't cooperating here. 85 degrees yesterday; 52 at best later today. Winds to 40 mph as the front rolls through, accompanied by rain. Bah humbug. Should have gone Friday.

We also had a big rain storm roll through. looks like it will clear up now. I need to finish a landscape lighting project at the house then I plan on heading out to a local reservoir that stocks rainbows for some bank fishing. Hopefully the water will clear up by next week for some good fishing.

It's been pretty cool and miserable the last 5-6 weeks. I think we had snow at least 4 or 5 of those weeks. I usually have my dock and boat in the water for the season by now but I'm looking to later this week I hope. I finally got in 2 rounds of golf so the boat isn't far behind!

Update: My dock is in the water so the boat will be going in the water the next day or 2. The river looks somewhat clear, but it's cold! I had to go into the water past knee deep in shorts to get a barrel under the dock and put the first runway on. It was 45 today and it got down to 24 overnight so it was not really shorts weather! :mrgreen:

I made it out for some bank fishing this morning at a place not too far from the house. My first trip to a local reservoir called Los Vaqueros so I wasn't sure what to expect. It rained pretty hard last night so I had some concern the water would be pretty muddy. Turned out to be relatively clear. I managed to pick up one trout. I had to land it on the bank and the poor guy got pretty banged up on the rocks. Next time I think I'll bring a net. I was using a Kastmaster on 4# mono. Anyway, it was nice to get out and toss a lure.

Los Vaq Fish.JPG

Drove by some windmills on the way to the reservoir.

Los Vaq Windmills.JPG

Have been trout fishing local ponds the past month every SAT morning, trolling SLOWLY gold or silver spoons depending on the light. So we’ll fish 1 of each until we identify the hot rod, then will switch over to that color.

It’s been amazing, as once we identify what color they like, that color will outfish the other one 10 to 1 ...

I was using a gold Kastmaster with spots on it. Tossing it with a 9.5' float & fly rod with the 4# mono. I have a this one and another lite action spinning rod loaded with 4 pound mono. I have a friend who uses nothing but 2# on his trout spinning gear. That is a little too light for my taste. Even with 4#, horsing a fish in may not be the best idea. haha.

Kind of funny that some days it is gold, others it is silver, or red/gold, or purple, etc. I think a lot of folks stick with a lure too long because they caught their last fish with it.

When running water was muddy with red clay after rain a gold Mepps (plain Mepps no bucktails or beads) #1 killed trout, in clear water a Mepps #0 in silver did it. Get a Mepps, catch some trout.

gnappi said:
When running water was muddy with red clay after rain a gold Mepps (plain Mepps no bucktails or beads) #1 killed trout, in clear water a Mepps #0 in silver did it. Get a Mepps, catch some trout.

Those are great lures. I like them better than Rooster Tails and other in line spinners. I have several in different colors, mostly dressed but one or two plain ones. I've been meaning to change out the treble to a single siwash hook on a few so I can hang a trout worm off the back. Mepps sells a model with a single hook but I never see them at the tackle stores.

I was at a tackle store last week and stopped to look at a display of Super Duper lures, another classic. I used that lure when I was a kid. I have one in the tackle box but just carry it around now. I guess that like Mepps spinners, Wedding Rings, and a bunch of others, they are still around because they probably work.

Ha! Just yesterday I was telling my wife about the 6 plastic boxes of lures, and the two very large worm bundles ( 12 x 12 ) each that I carry every time I go out in the boat.

Of course, I only use about 5 or 6 of the same lures and just keep changing them out and in all day long!

This is a consideration since we are packing for our trek to TN. in a week. I know I ought to leave some lures in TN and keep the rest here, but I just can't leave any behind. Kind of like kids.

richg99 said:
Ha! Just yesterday I was telling my wife about the 6 plastic boxes of lures, and the two very large worm bundles ( 12 x 12 ) each that I carry every time I go out in the boat.

Of course, I only use about 5 or 6 of the same lures and just keep changing them out and in all day long!

This is a consideration since we are packing for our trek to TN. in a week. I know I ought to leave some lures in TN and keep the rest here, but I just can't leave any behind. Kind of like kids.

When the number of lures becomes a concern while packing for a move, then you are a true fisherman. :LOL2:

Just came off of the Houston 8-acre pond. Bright, sunny, Bluebird day. Not what I usually consider a fish catching day....except here on this pond.

As long as I kept working the shadows from the overhanging trees, I swear I had a fish on every couple of minutes or so.

I crush the hook's barb most of the time on this lake, so I probably only landed 8 or 10. I'm pretty much the ONLY person who fishes this lake with any regularity, and that is only when we are here in Texas. I never catch much of anything over a 1-lb or so LM Bass, but they give me a great fight and it is a unique experience.

Once a year or so, I will drop a worm or other lure right onto the nose of a big catfish, purely by accident. They can go 5 or 6 lbs, I'd guess. THAT is a tussle, given my fairly lightweight rod and line. Back when I used my kayak, the cats would give me a "sleigh ride".

i will be next week, heading to the St. Johns river. out of Palatka, Fl. my step dad has the boat rented already. supposed to be for 2 days. then at the end of next week i will be in beaufort, Nc. my cousin has a house on the south river. they just got a new boat. so we will see.

richg99 said:
Just came off of the Houston 8-acre pond. Bright, sunny, Bluebird day. Not what I usually consider a fish catching day....except here on this pond.

As long as I kept working the shadows from the overhanging trees, I swear I had a fish on every couple of minutes or so.

I crush the hook's barb most of the time on this lake, so I probably only landed 8 or 10. I'm pretty much the ONLY person who fishes this lake with any regularity, and that is only when we are here in Texas. I never catch much of anything over a 1-lb or so LM Bass, but they give me a great fight and it is a unique experience.

Once a year or so, I will drop a worm or other lure right onto the nose of a big catfish, purely by accident. They can go 5 or 6 lbs, I'd guess. THAT is a tussle, given my fairly lightweight rod and line. Back when I used my kayak, the cats would give me a "sleigh ride".

LMB's put up a heck of a fight. What were you using? Back when I used to target LMB, I used rubber worms almost exclusively. Fished them slowly. Once you learned how to fish them, they out produced hard lures consistently. At least that was my experience.

Ha Ha, you really ARE old. We use ....plastic.... worms now.

Yep, the soft plastics, at least on this pond, catch 99% of my fish.

Went to Lake Conroe this morning. Skunked, even with the worms and a lot more lures.

They used to melt into the tackle box. Haha

Do you look at the Solunar calendar? I look at it but I wouldn't let it stop me from going fishing. If you need an excuse, today wasn't a good day. Monday mid-day is supposed to be best.

https://www.in-fisherman.com/solunar-calendar/