Are waves like this too much for a 1542 tracker?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sask tracker 1542

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this , but i bought a 1542 tracker topper. I live in Saskatchewan and no one runs Jon boats here.

I know they arent good in waves.

But the videos i provided are of local lakes and im wondering if someone could tell me how a 15' Jon would handle on water like this?

No idea who the people are but this is a typical lake here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_h8ppjnhs

no idea on the people again but this lake is 30 mins from me...quit looking at the bikini and look at the waves...lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2jgx47MB9s

Last one typical water here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSVKloohNM&feature=fvst

Sorry if this i stupid question. I am just unsure of capabilities of the boat. Its kinda windy here allot of the time and the lakes arent huge but i'd appreciate any input.

I don't think you'll have a problem...I would think its gonna bounce around a bit in the choppy stuff...I don't think that water was to bad.. The flat bottom will make it a little rougher and if the front is flat I would imagine it may make it rougher too. The V cuts the waves...some newer jons have a mod V up front for that reason.... But they are stable when sitting still...

Did I read you ordered it. When is your boat gonna be there?

I have the same size boat. If winds are forecasted at sustained 15mph or more, I'd stay off the lake in that boat, and make sure you have a bilge pump. See my post on "do I need a bilge pump?" for details.

yes I bought the boat new.. they were affordable compared to Tin V's. There are some rivers and small sheltered reservoirs here so i know i'll be able to enjoy it.

Just wanted to see what people thought about the chop. it does get very hot here and wind stops blowing. the fishing is amazing here.

Huge Northern Pike, Walleye, Perch. Some catfish and Trout lakes. Theres one small mouth bass reservoir too. THeres over between 31, 37 major lakes. in fact there are according to some sources more than 100 000 lakes altogether.

So im sure i'll find a few calm ones. But the chop on an average day is like in the vids.

Boat should be arriving anytime now. I will install a 800gph bilge. It will be powered by a 18hp Fastwin in amazing condition.

probably doing a front deck to add some weight to the front. Bought new Camo seats and already refinished the Trailer. has livewell buily in, kinda small but it's there. This site is what got me addicted to Jon's...lol

I just bought a 1436 and I was worried about the same thing. It can handle way more than I thought so far. I go out on canals and pretty big lakes and I was worried about wake from barges and big boats that speed by. It handled it very well. Just keep an eye on the weather, and figure out your limitations.

The first video posted they were in a rubber dinghy...if they can handle it surely our 1542 can. ;)

Seriously though you will be fine. I was out the other day in water choppier than that in my 14' and it was fine. A little bouncy if you try to head right into the waves but cutting them at an angle made that a fair bit better.

Awesome.. I like hearing the input about this subject.

I live in the Prairies and the wind can get nasty out of nowhere. I guess i'll have to learn my comfort zone and hopefully stay afloat..lol

I have a hard time believing that a 12 foot hull would be much better in the wind and chop than a 15" jon with its length and stability.

I know the V cuts the waves but they are so small and I know people are running little V hulls here. In fac t it was my original plan to buy a small V. But people want like $2000 for a crappy old V hulls and trailer here. When I saw i could buy a brand new 2012 1542 Tracker topper for 1200 it seemed like a no brainer to buy one of these cool boats.