Attaching rails/tower etc to gunwales??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteredpilot

Reaction score
I'm looking at my '82ish Sea Nymph 14R and considering the possibility of attaching bow/side rails to the boat as an added safety measure for my kids. Also considering mounting some kind of lightweight tower out back for rod holders and such. This boat has what appear to be extruded aluminum gunwales at about 1.5" wide and they look spot riveted to the hull. How would you go about attaching such a thing? Any examples out there? thanks.

I’ve never tried it on the narrow top rail, But I have seen where aluminum channel “blocks” were attached to the inside of the top rail, and the railing were mounted to those blocks.

Rivnuts ...they work great on aluminum boats. Just make sure you use aluminum rivnuts to prevent corrosion. All my rod holders are installed with rivnuts they stand up to trolling and big catfish fine. Attached Pic of rod holder on gun wale secured with rivnuts.

Attachments

• 20230730_103431.jpg
    20230730_103431.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Rivnuts ...they work great on aluminum bolts. Just make sure you use aluminum rivnuts to prevent corrosion. All my rod holders are installed with rivnuts they stand up to trolling and big catfish fine. Attached Pic of rod holder on gun wale secured with rivnuts.
That is a good idea. Now I have to go out and spend more money on the boat.