Auto Mechanic question #2 Diesel Maintenance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasilvers said:
This was very helpful as I was considering a diesel as well. Thanks for talking me out of it!

Don't get me wrong, I've got a diesel and wouldn't go back to a gasser......if I was going to tow.

Heck, I wouldn't go back anyways!

8)

I work on semi trucks for years with all kinds of engines, cummins, volvo, detroit, international, mack. Some trucks have well over 1 million miles and still dont have an overhaul done or any major issues. I just dont like new ones with egr valves. Some of my friends that drive diesel pickups come in to my shop for general maintenance and they seem happy with them. I dont like them though, im all for electric cars and bicycles. :D
Also, in other countries, diesal cars, suvs, and trucks are way more common than gasoline.

I too want a diesel truck. However I dont have a practical use for it. Thought about buying a 5th wheel, jsut so I could have a use for the diesel.

I work at Caterpillars Technology Center. One building tests diesel engines, big diesel engines, and little ones too. We have several single piston tests. Yep, a single piston. No sense building a whole engine when your only tesing fuel flow rates and combustion burn rates. The Fed's have made stricker diesel emission requirements.

Some links for you to read.
https://www.cat.com/technology/tier-4?gclid=COfp-uCtuK4CFSwDQAodW2ICPw
https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/nonroad.php
https://www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/index.htm
https://www.cat.com/technology/acert-technology

On the upside.
Diesels will far exceed the usefull life of any gas engine by at least 2 times.
Diesels will also get better gas mileage.

I'd have to agree with those that are saying don't buy a deisel unless you need one. It's hard on them driving around town,or just driving a few miles to work. They never get warmed up right. Too many guys drive them like a gasser. Turn the key and stand on it.

If you need one don't fall for the trash talk on the web. I live in the wheat belt,and work with farmers everyday. They all have deisels (chevy's,dodge's,and ford's),and use them. I haven't been able to see any difference between brands with down time. The older cummins does seem pretty bullet proof,but so has my Duramax. I driven this thing for 10 yrs. Half of which has been towing trailers some big and heavy. Mine has never seen the shop,with the exception of getting a new air conditioner compressor. 10 yrs. of service with no break downs is pretty bullet proof,if you ask me. I do have the manual transmission,and will make 20-22 mpg on the open road. Not bad for a 7,000 lb. truck.

I have buddies with the same miles who have gone through 2 sets of injectors,others with the same results as me. Can't explain that. And no, duramax's aren't the only ones replacing injectors. I will say that most of those I know having trouble are the guys jacking with the programming,turning them up. Why??? They'll pull anything you hook to them from the factory. Do you really want to race with a 7,000 lb. truck? Then don't cry when it breaks.

Excellent post Bmac.
:beer:

20-22 mpg is what I have been hearing as the norm, and that's much better than a gasser.

Agreed! there are so many dumbasses out there, i know a gy who has an 01 2500 with a cummins and he's running something like 20psi in boost an brags about putting 600hp to the wheels, what the dumbass fails to realize is he's going to end up blowing the top end outta that motor not to mention blowing the turbo apart as hard as he pushes the thing. I feel bad for the truck the poor thing pisses oil an leaks coolant cause he ended up pushing so much boost it stretched the head bolts an he's too freaking dumb or cheap to fix it.

Bmac said:
I have buddies with the same miles who have gone through 2 sets of injectors,others with the same results as me. Can't explain that. And no, duramax's aren't the only ones replacing injectors. I will say that most of those I know having trouble are the guys jacking with the programming,turning them up. Why??? They'll pull anything you hook to them from the factory. Do you really want to race with a 7,000 lb. truck? Then don't cry when it breaks.