Badbaggers SeaArk 1872 Modification & Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Badbagger, I am posting the pics of the Smart tabs I installed on my Ark that I told you about. They made a difference on my boat. It had a whale tail on the motor and would porpoise with the small amount of trim. I have not did any mods to the boat yet except for the tabs and removing the tail, leaving the gas tank and motor battery in the back. As Dave stated too much trim will cause it to porpoise, but I get so much futher out of the water now, but the unexpected difference was in the turns. Here in Ky. some of the lakes are long and winding and the boat handles so much better with the high speed turns.The ride is not so pounding now that the tail is gone.
So, thats my two cents, trying things out in a methodical process is always best.
I will start my project in July and will start a thread. I have purchased quite a bit so far , But the fish are starting to bite. It looks like you are building one HIGH CLASS TIN. Great job.

Attachments

• IMG_6073.JPG
    IMG_6073.JPG
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 728
  • IMG_6077.JPG
    IMG_6077.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 728
I put the wrong pic in the reply. Sorry, here is the right one.

Attachments

• trim tabs.jpeg
    trim tabs.jpeg
    842.1 KB · Views: 728
Jeff, thanks for the compliments. This board is a great place to share a wealth of information just as you have done and it's a big help and confirms yet again everything I've learned over the past year about these beasts we own. Once I'm ready for the wet test, I'm going to make a few runs sans tabs and see how she runs and then if my suspicions are confirmed, install the tabs. You've got a great boat and setup and you're well on your way. Planning it all out a a BIG BIG part and I can attest to that. Without plans, a terrible thing happens lol: NOTHING. My boat has been prepped and primed. They've ordered paint and they'll get into it in a big way on Monday. Meanwhile, I've ordered a few more things including the tabs and playing with more ideas.

Be certain to start a thread on your build and let us all know =D>

BTW. what are you seeing speed wise at WOT on your beast?

With two men and standard fishing gear 43 is all I can get, 39 before the tabs all by gps. I believe I can squeeze a 2 to 4 more mph out of her. My motor is a little low and the prop is a 18 pitch. SeaArk told me on these boats that the more HP the higher you motor can be lifted. Your Jack plate will make this very easy for you to play with.

Can't wait to see the paint.

Thanks Jeff, somewhat confirms my guesstimate on WOT with the 115. I'm guessing low 50's and that's plenty fast for me. Truth be told, I'll run the mid range more than not. More than anything, my goal is to keep the nose down and with the 4 blade prop that alone will help. All 3 of the G3's I owned pounded like hell in the chop and they were all fairly wet. I'll do a few test runs but I'm guessing that adding tabs will really help keep the nose down and the azz end higher since I'll have a LOT of battery weight in the boat. Even with 2 batteries in the console and the other 2 in the stern, Sea Ark consoles are placed fairly close to the transom, I'd guess about 6'. It should make for fewer trips to get the fillings checked after running through dirty water.

:LOL2:

Jeff great boat you got there bro. Good luck with your build,

I noticed in the pics that the taps are in the down position. If I understand the way these smart taps work then that is the default position and they only come up when the water pressure overcomes the spring force. I’m sure they work well, just as advertised. My only concern would be for a skinner water guy. Looks like they’re going to add a few inches of drat when drifting or poling over flat.
Many flats anglers including myself go to great lengths to keep their boats light and minimize draft were ever possible. Have you had any issues with the taps in that respect? Thanks Dave.

Dave, I think they would be a problem for you guys on the flats or in skinny water. Just off the top of my head I think they would add about 6-8 inches. The pistons are gas charged and the at rest position is always the same, but the tab has 5 adjustment holes for pressure adjustment.

Thanks for that info Jeff and indeed, that would spell trouble out on the flats. It's often that I'll run through 2' or less.
My living room is looking like the stock room at West Marine.... here's proof... Just took this and still more stuff on the way.

Good thing the wife has a sense of humor =D>

Attachments

• thepile.jpg
    thepile.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 890
Badbagger, Do you know how deep your Ark sits in the water? I will measure mine when I get home. I think I have a water line about 8 inches up from the bottom at the back of the boat.
By the looks of your living room you are really getting into your tin deep.

While I haven't had this particular boat wet, I've seen others and I'd agree with that measurement or darn close to it anyway.
You outta see my **** garage :mrgreen:

Badbagger said:
Thanks for that info Jeff and indeed, that would spell trouble out on the flats. It's often that I'll run through 2' or less.
My living room is looking like the stock room at West Marine.... here's proof... Just took this and still more stuff on the way.

Good thing the wife has a sense of humor =D>

I’d say she’s a saint. I’m sure her closet is full f shoes. :mrgreen:

With the tabs installed where does that leave you to mount transducers, engine side or outside?

Change of plans and going with a set of Lenco Trim Tabs. The looks ez nuff to install and won't be in the way of my side scan transducer which will be on the jack plate.

I think you will be happy with the tabs, are you going electric or hydraulic? Either way you will be able to trim to zero and go as skinny as you want.
The electric tabs are a breeze to install.

Thanks, I'll be going Lenco. Easier to install and something I can do myself. No hydraulics to contend with, no possibility of leaks and no pumps to mount. The Lencos seem to be well received after all of my research and a call to Lenco yesterday.

Picked up a set of Lenco 12x12 tabs on fleabay with LED Kit and autoretract for a great price and literally saved hundreds. Another thing off the list.

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• lenco_2.jpg
    lenco_2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 809
Badbagger said:
Picked up a set of Lenco 12x12 tabs on fleabay with LED Kit and autoretract for a great price and literally saved hundreds. Another thing off the list.

:mrgreen:

Sweet :mrgreen:
You’re going to be happy with them bro.

Thanks Dave. The folks at Lenco were really great. I called after my first email and they answered all of my questions. Then lil ole OCD me must have sent them 20 emails with questions which they answered within 10 minutes everytime. The tabs ran me $605 shipped. They list out at over $1k. Found them on Iboats for $750 and then on fleabay so couldn't beat it.

Still a few more things to go but getting there!

Latest posts