BarelyAwake's 16' glass v-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarelyAwake

Reaction score
New to site. Bought a bout and bring it home on friday. Going to be customizing it shortly to fit my needs. This is my first motor boat. All i know about the boat is its made by bart?? It floats and has working trolling motor and a 20hp tiller on the back. Here are a few pics. Wish me luck and ill keep my updates flowing as regular as possible. Any opinions are welcome.

Not sure if these pics will show if they dont any help on how to post pics from my phone will help. Tried posting straight from camera roll but had to email it to my self in order for it to aloow me to paste to this page.

Welcome to TinBoats! Happy to have you here.

Pics don't show, but here's a tutorial that may help:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3664

There you go....I see them. Looks like a great project. Don't forget to take lots of pictures. We like pictures. :mrgreen:

Nice ride. I purchased a '66 Johnson 20 HP over the winter, so far so good. I repainted the cowling and slapped some new decals on it.

Not sure of the make or model on anything for this boat. Paid for it in the dark and bring it home friday night. I will take some pics of the motor when i get her home. I was inforrmed that it is a 20 hp. Be nice to know the model of it for istances when repair and maint' is due. Almost feels like christmas, just need to unwrap the years off it and find out what i have. Invested 800$ into this whole lil' package. So hopfully i dont find anything devistating.

Looking around to see if i can spot a tiller motor that has been converted into a remote operated. Found plenty of kits on cabelas'. But too pricey. Ive delt with many a vehicle, and im looking into using shift cable atatched to motor and foot peddles. My only thought is will the throw of the cables provide enough to steer the boat addiquitly. The choke knob, and gear selector is no problem. Besides adding a few custom bracket to the motor housing. Thinking of a hurst shifter for the thottle. Choke will still function as a push pull. And the gear selector will be a push pull. Or even use a rack and pinion for the steering. So i can use a steering wheel and at least halfway blend in with the crowd.

Cant find any pics to illistrate my thoughts but this one. This is a kayak rudder that is controled with foot peddles. So just imagine the rudder being my tiller handle motor. Now just to take it one step further with a geared rack and pinion steering wheel.
DSC01414.jpg

Here is a pic of a rack and pinion. Now the shift cable would atatch to either ends of the rack.
racknpinion.jpg

I know im not the first to think of this idea, but im not spending heeps of money on parts that i can fabricate myself. Only question is will the automobile shift linkage provide enought throw(travel). To steer hard port and starbord if needed. I like the automobile shift cables because they come already cased and can either push or pull with little flex after mutiple use.

just returned home with the boat. solid info on the boat. 1967 Baird 16' fiberglass v-hull, And to my astonishment verified with serial # a RUNNING 1969 johnson 2 stroke 20HP. bad point is the bow bench seat has been removed and broke a peice of fiberglass off where the bracket mounted to the boat. should be an easy fix with light angled aluminum. now if i can get an off day from my 7/12's job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-H3YyiOyc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player. 1969 johnson 20hp back to life!!!! :lol:

Yes! Was spiting water out on every stroke once it primed itself. Went thru the entire motor, and this was the first run its had in 10 years. I think all together i spent 50 bucks to rebuild it. Now for some custom brackets for throttle and steering. But may wait awhile before doing all that.

Any one know where or how to locate a new prop for this motor? 1969 johnson 20hp tiller handle. And help will be greatly appreciated.

BarelyAwake said:
Any one know where or how to locate a new prop for this motor? 1969 johnson 20hp tiller handle. And help will be greatly appreciated.

PM Lil Blue Rude.....he seems to know his Johnson stuff.

Dang...did I just type that? :shock:

https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=jvmttklta38lrnkagffk86sh22&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

couldn't find a 20 just saw 18 and 25.....

or these guys....https://www.twincityoutboards.com/ look in the antique outboard section...shows $35.00 and up.

good luck...should be able to find it with little problem.

https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=jvmttklta38lrnkagffk86sh22&catalog_id=0&siteid=1<<<<<<< AWSOME link texx!

Found a prop for 109$ carb parts for 28$.
79d91586.jpg
battery box moved up front, wires still to deal with and clean up.
65e41b9a.jpg
the foot controlled TM. Anyone know the year?
211c6b0e.jpg
New ped and seat fror up front.
b967a434.jpg
twin swivel seats

Plan on making my way to preslys lake for the weekend. And start planing out raised deck, live well, catch cooler, cabinet to hide battery. Also found out i can add/convert motor to steering. So my ambitious plan is to add a small console in the boat with all controls. IE. Lights, bilge,tm, live well. Oh and the radio. ☜cant forget that!

BarleyAwake.........catching zzzzzz's

Ok i need advise! Looking thru iboats for steering and controls for my boat i find myself usure what to get. I looking for steering wheel kit with everything i need from motor to well everything. I dont want rack and pinion tho. Throttle/gear dual control with everything. I am so lost as what i need. Motor is 1969 johnson 20hp tiller handle. Please help. 10'-12'feet long is about what i need. 12' would put my helm at about center ways up the boat.

Latest posts